Pa Trout Opener 2023

MB3

We tried this AM at Tobyhanna. Not one soul at the lake (aka smart ones). Sustained brutal winds, biting cold and a few casts into it, I gave up. Worst opening weekend possibly ever and I might be dealing with a rotator issue now, it has been hurting all weekend. Great all around year so far lol

MuskieGal

Opening weekend was so slow!! Fish just weren't biting and weather wasnt great. We managed to pull in a couple at a small pond but Tobybanna lake was shut down. First trout of the year though. A couple brookies, brownie and a bow.

Attachments

• 20230401_093801.jpg
    20230401_093801.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230401_095208.jpg
    20230401_095208.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230401_100342.jpg
    20230401_100342.jpg
    909.7 KB · Views: 3

Blackcat Outdoors

So, got to camp Saturday afternoon just in time for a thunder storm to roll in. Fished maybe 1/2 hour then it stormed on and off until after 6. Decided to setup camp and stick to drinking beer for the night. At least I slept good. 🙂

Sunday morning, woke up to below freezing Temps and wind. Tried a little bank fishing until breakfast. Froze my but off wearing pretty much every layer I had for an hour or so. Decided bacon and crawling back in my hammock sounded better for a bit.

Finally got out in the canoes for the afternoon. Still windy and cold, but at least tolerable. We only caught 3 Trout between 4 guys Sunday. I managed 1 fall fish for the whole trip. At least my new tarp setup proved good to go in high winds, even though I bent two tent steaks. Hopefully after Easter I can get a better trip in.

20230401_145530.jpg
My one and only catch.

20230402_135656.jpg
Creek was blown out and muddy. I left the kyack at home and hopped in a canoe with motor. Upstream in a head wind wasn't remotely possible with paddles.

Blackcat Outdoors

20230402_143416.jpg
My new winter tarp works well at least. It can be setup with doors for even more rain protection, but I kept them open this time.

20230402_153910.jpg
Not going to bed very good for backpacking. I strapped it on top my pack for the short walk from boat to camp. It'll be great for rainy kyack/car camping trips though.

20230402_102537.jpg
Bacon, eggs, and leftover chili for breakfast was worth the trip anyway. 😋

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
View attachment 4933
My new winter tarp works well at least. It can be setup with doors for even more rain protection, but I kept them open this time.

View attachment 4934
Not going to bed very good for backpacking. I strapped it on top my pack for the short walk from boat to camp. It'll be great for rainy kyack/car camping trips though.

View attachment 4935
Bacon, eggs, and leftover chili for breakfast was worth the trip anyway. 😋
Nice to see people keeping the outdoors tradition alive. Catching fish is the goal but the trip is what is remembered.

HenryDavid

Opening weekend was so slow!! Fish just weren't biting and weather wasnt great. We managed to pull in a couple at a small pond but Tobybanna lake was shut down. First trout of the year though. A couple brookies, brownie and a bow.
Why was Tobyhanna shut down?

truecrimson

Did the bushehacking thing Sunday. Cold and windy. One bite no catches. But I got out.

No one was there and no sign of anyone either. No worm containers or plastic bags. Didn't get to fish all the beaver ponds so I have reason to go back and try this unmolested place again.
20230402_190814.jpg20230402_153800.jpg

Melvinp

So, got to camp Saturday afternoon just in time for a thunder storm to roll in. Fished maybe 1/2 hour then it stormed on and off until after 6. Decided to setup camp and stick to drinking beer for the night. At least I slept good. 🙂

Sunday morning, woke up to below freezing Temps and wind. Tried a little bank fishing until breakfast. Froze my but off wearing pretty much every layer I had for an hour or so. Decided bacon and crawling back in my hammock sounded better for a bit.

Finally got out in the canoes for the afternoon. Still windy and cold, but at least tolerable. We only caught 3 Trout between 4 guys Sunday. I managed 1 fall fish for the whole trip. At least my new tarp setup proved good to go in high winds, even though I bent two tent steaks. Hopefully after Easter I can get a better trip in.

View attachment 4931
My one and only catch.

View attachment 4932
Creek was blown out and muddy. I left the kyack at home and hopped in a canoe with motor. Upstream in a head wind wasn't remotely possible with paddles.
Fallfish are awesome until you get them in and realize what it is lmbo but it counts you didn’t get skunked lol

Melvinp

Got to chat with a fish commission officer today about my kid and her current college career but only a about 3 minutes before he was literally chased out by several guys wanting to know when and if the stocking truck was coming.No joke except on them he ran and I keep my mouth shut no gold so no fish lmelbo

Solitario Lupo

Got right in front of the stocking truck 🚚 They threw a bucket in hole right in front of me and I started fishing after they settled down they started hitting. I must be rusty missed 3 or 4 of them ha.😅

Reactions: A-5