Pickle poopers

HenryDavid

These were on the water late last night
hex.jpg

I believe the small fly up top is a Sulphur, they are out most every evening, it could be a pale evening dun but I call them Sulphurs anyway, lol

The 2 big ones are the Hex fly, as I was told by fly fishing expert Joe Ackourey. I had sent him a couple pics of these in the past thinking they were Green Drakes but Joe informed me there are no green drakes on the Susquehanna.

I tried a popper rather than a dry to make sure it stayed on top and got 2 nice smallies and a fall fish, this little white one did the trick

boogle-bullet-pearly-white.jpg

Don

White flies usually reach the North Branch of the Susquehanna sometime in early August, might be early this year. It only lasts a couple of weeks but the hatch will move up river. After many years fishing this hatch I believe it's over-rated. It's short lived and the blizzard hatch pretty much ends any effective fishing with too many flies on the water. Much of the action takes place after dark, hence the glow popper.
thanks. we have a similar hatch here in Easton. I've not nailed it down that well but it mid-summer, just after dark, and really plugs up the grill on the vehicle youre driving. whatever ya do don't touch the wipers or you're smeared. it pretty dramatic, cool.

Don

View attachment 5427

I believe the small fly up top is a Sulphur, they are out most every evening, it could be a pale evening dun but I call them Sulphurs anyway, lol

The 2 big ones are the Hex fly, as I was told by fly fishing expert Joe Ackourey. I had sent him a couple pics of these in the past thinking they were Green Drakes but Joe informed me there are no green drakes on the Susquehanna.

I tried a popper rather than a dry to make sure it stayed on top and got 2 nice smallies and a fall fish, this little white one did the trick

View attachment 5428
that is great, love those comparative shots.

Melvinp

View attachment 5427

View attachment 5428
Does the hook move on this?

HenryDavid

Does the hook move on this?
No, that popper is a Boogle Bug, nicely made but with shipping they go about $5 each. The hook seems to be put through the balsa at an angle or the hook has an offset shank, hard to tell. I have a couple that shattered and I think I still have the hooks, I'll search for them and upload a pic if I find them.

Melvinp

No, that popper is a Boogle Bug, nicely made but with shipping they go about $5 each. The hook seems to be put through the balsa at an angle or the hook has an offset shank, hard to tell. I have a couple that shattered and I think I still have the hooks, I'll search for them and upload a pic if I find them.
Hmm wonder what it would be like if the hook was able to move hmm lol

HenryDavid

I have a couple very small poppers in the same style. There's not much open hook gap left exposed. I know I've missed fish because of that. The one in the photo above has been good with hook up ratios. If the bass inhales it not a problem but if they just nudge it no hook up. I'd definitely prefer the more traditional style like the ones you've been creating for smallies.

You might be onto something, maybe a "moving head" popper. They make all kinds of unique top water popper lures now for spin fishing.
Check out this contraption
Headbanger spitfire lure.jpg

Don

The way that front lip is it makes the lure look like youre dragging in an old crappy with its mouth out of the water.

Don

Hd, Melvin, Blackbat, Z and Nappy, what rivers do you fish for Smallies?