Presentations, What are you using this time of year?

Don

I’ve mentioned in the past that Gouldsboro is only 7’ deep at one little spot and that the rest of lake is only 4-6’ over 235 acres. So this lake never turns in fall. I love it here but it can be a weedy place.
Today I decided to try out three rigs. Remember the depth….1) slip bobber 2) standard bobber, 3) split shot and no bobber.
Using worms and #4 hooks the slip bobber caught the most fish.
Why?

Last edited:

Don

I think that the slip bobber worked best because the weeds are so bad and the slip bobber delivers the bait vertically through the open spots. Each of the others caught fish but were unremarkable by comparison.

Don

Are you using Football Jigs? Are you using Jerkbaits now?
I see Michael used some artistic thingy dingy that I've not seen before. It appears to be a spoon along with a dressed treble. I'd like to hear how it is worked. Slow, deep, shallow?
TC....I mean TS, What were you using? Black Cat what are you using in creeks. Melvin Is Z still alive?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I mentioned in the What did you catch today thread of what we used, in short, Keitech, Football Jigs and Ned. Those 3 baits have caught most of my fish this year with the Keitech having some variations. Either ball head, swim jig with a skirt or an under spin.

For the rest of this season I will be staying with Football Jigs as they are my bread and butter but I want to work on my Jerk Bait game so I’ll put in a lot of time with them. I know some guys really like glide baits this time of year and winter but it’s just not a method I want to put my time or money into at this point.

Don

I hope you elaborate on which Jerk baits you use. I usually only use surface (floating) Rapala

Solitario Lupo

I’ve mentioned in the past that Gouldsboro is only 7’ deep at one little spot and that the rest of lake is only 4-6’ over 235 acres. So this lake never turns in fall. I love it here but it can be a weedy place.
Today I decided to try out three rigs. Remember the depth….1) slip bobber 2) standard bobber, 3) split shot and no bobber.
Using worms and #4 hooks the slip bobber caught the most fish.
Why?
Slip bobbers work great it gets the bait right off the ground and gives it that much motion plus the wind blows or current pushes it around to cover a little more water for ya. Sometimes something just sitting on the bottom isn’t that visible to a fish.

Reactions: Don

Don

I agree Sol, movement helps.
Does anyone use dropshot this time of the year? I was talking to the owner of Keiteck USA and he mentioned using 3" on drop shots in Merrill creek from 25 to 40' deep. he sad smallies will take them. Then he said in 100' the lakers will get them. cool!

Reactions: A-5

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I hope you elaborate on which Jerk baits you use. I usually only use surface (floating) Rapala
I need to work on that game so no recommendations from me. I did however pick up a Rapala Shadow Rap Deep 11 Slow Sinking and the Bass Pro knock-off of a Vision 110. I just can’t pay what Megabass asks.

Don

Is anyone using any of the other Kietech products? They have Leeches, pointy worms and creatures.
When speaking to the owner I stated that I simply don’t catch anything on any baits except his shiner minnows. He asked me some preliminary questions and where I fish and then said I don’t fish deep enough early in the season.
What do you say???

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Is anyone using any of the other Kietech products? They have Leeches, pointy worms and creatures.
When speaking to the owner I stated that I simply don’t catch anything on any baits except his shiner minnows. He asked me some preliminary questions and where I fish and then said I don’t fish deep enough early in the season.
What do you say???

I have learned that the product a bait company first enters the market with is usually a phenomenal product. Any further variations or new products is usually just mediocre. There are some exceptions for the big companies who actually do R&D but the rest, it's just playing the game and not worth the time or money required. This is just my opinion but I can show you a wall of baits that do not work for me although their original market entrance baits are on my boat all the time.

Don

Well Pooh! I have that same wall of baits. WhT about the rest of the post. Do I fish deep enough.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Well Pooh! I have that same wall of baits. WhT about the rest of the post. Do I fish deep enough.
I can’t honestly say, I haven’t fished with you!! Hint! But yeah, other than late spring / summer, I typically fished deep the last couple of seasons. Most likely because I just really like Jig and Ned fishing.

pabassman

What do you say???
I use several Keitech products. All of their swimbaits, leeches on a dropshot, spiders,and the football jig. Deep is a realitive term. For me deep on the Pack is 15 to 25 feet. On Harveys you're not considered deep til 40 and goes to ???. Big Mike isnt fishing Gouldsboro. Him and the Reynolds Marine gang rule the spring Candlewood tournaments with an iron fist. They fish a lot of bigwater in NY. Once they move out for the summer those giant smallies are coming from up to 70 feet on Ontario.

Don

I can’t honestly say, I haven’t fished with you!! Hint! But yeah, other than late spring / summer, I typically fished deep the last couple of seasons. Most likely because I just really like Jig and Ned fishing.
With the weather cooling is there any Ned time left in the year? I’d like to learn a little more. I thought I’d hit you in May.

Don

I use several Keitech products. All of their swimbaits, leeches on a dropshot, spiders,and the football jig. Deep is a realitive term. For me deep on the Pack is 15 to 25 feet. On Harveys you're not considered deep til 40 and goes to ???. Big Mike isnt fishing Gouldsboro. Him and the Reynolds Marine gang rule the spring Candlewood tournaments with an iron fist. They fish a lot of bigwater in NY. Once they move out for the summer those giant smallies are coming from up to 70 feet on Ontario.
I’m learning that deep is a relative term. On Merrill it is Gin clear and more oxygenated so deep is actually deeper than at a dirty lake like spruce run.
I am always interested in crappy and perch. I think that the Kietech Leeches look inviting.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
With the weather cooling is there any Ned time left in the year? I’d like to learn a little more. I thought I’d hit you in May.
It has not been my friend my last 4 outings on two separate lakes but they were good to me last fall into winter. I think we are just in an odd time due to water temps and the recent warm up. I think it confused their pattern. ???

Don

It has not been my friend my last 4 outings on two separate lakes but they were good to me last fall into winter. I think we are just in an odd time due to water temps and the recent warm up. I think it confused their pattern. ???
I feel that the current patterns are screwing with the fish’s brains. The days are short and so is the water levels. But the temps aren’t dropping. Next week should get things going better. But probably no more Wiper.

Last edited:

Don

Troutspinster I just sol ved all our late season mis fortune and miseries by making a wise purchase. I just placed an order for Kieteck leaches. Should cure all the skunks. Got a ten pack too so I can pass them out to members here.