Share your Favorite Fish Recipes & Cooking Methods

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I do not keep many fish but I do like to try anything new I've never had before. To keep everything equal, I season and cook them all the same and to be quite honest, the following seasoning and method comes out pretty tasty.

I use a fresh piece of fish, skinned, hopefully properly bled, patted dry & never washed unless it just has to be because of blood, then I use a wet paper towel to clean up anything unsightly.

I lightly season all sides with Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika & Cayenne Pepper. Nothing is applied more than the other, just a light sprinkling of each.

In a Non-Stick Pan, I put in a tablespoon of Olive Oil, heat on Medium to Medium High until the oil gets to it's smoke point then I place the fish in. I cook it until brown, flip and then cook until brown on the other side.

I could obviously just go salt and pepper or even nothing but the above is a great blend that works for me and I can really judge how much I like that particular fish. That blend above is also great on Homefries, go a little heavy on the Paprika ;)

That is not to say I do not like fish other ways, deep fried is my favorite ;)

What is your goto recipe / method?

fish.jpg

A-5

Panko salt pepper garlic salt maybe onion powder.

or lemon butter salt pepper. Cod, yummy

pabassman

About the only fish I keep are panfish in the winter and maybe the early spring. I have several ways I make them. Classic beer batter, deep fried. Bread crumbs and deep fried. This year a buddy got me to try grinding pecans and walnuts to a powder. Press the fillets into the nuts. Bake 8 minutes, flip and bake 6 more minutes. This became my favorite. Just plain with some seasonings and popped in the oven excellent too.

Last edited:

Don

We don't want to lose anyone and we do want to go on eating fish. I suggest that you not use Olive oil to sear your fillets as the smoke or steam it emits is full of carcinogens. Use a higher heat oil for the searing such as Canola or, my favorites, Almond or Grape Seed Oils. If you like the taste of Olive Oil put it on cold afterwords. Thats what I do on salads and baked potatoes.
Ironically I learned to like Trout at the RoyAnn Diner 50 years ago. Butterflied fillet, skin on, cooked in a hot oven on a hot serving plate, smothered with butter and lemon slices, sprinkled with mild spices.

Reactions: A-5

Don

I just learned it recently. I love olive oil. Its just the heat that is bad for it. Otherwise fine.

Solitario Lupo

I don’t really eat fish but I do like a piece in corn flakes and saltine crackers as the breading. Half flakes half crackers then fry.

Gremcat

I’ve heard the same for most food that’s blackened or seared oils. Not sure if some things are worse than others but wouldn’t surprise me.

Gremcat

I use a the spice aisle applewood dry rub, even non fish eaters like it. I use it when I cut pork loin into chops too. I’m not a picky eater but prefer good quality foods. My ground venison is usually the Hams and sometimes even the Straps... I know I know but when you kill 15+ deer and Mama is cooking it’s a good alternative to ground beef which I don’t care for. 93% ground sirloin or something. My ground venison or bear is mixed with Strip Steaks as is my Summer Sausage. My pork sausage substitutes like Breakfast and Italian is mixed with pork loin. I didn’t eat any fried or greasy food for 5-7 years and while now I hit the drive thru with kids and stuff I still prefer meats not greasy.

I’m working on steelhead/salmon smoking recipes. I’m not a weekend Smoker so to speak. I enjoyed the steelhead smoke session now that I have electric. Set it and once in a while throw chips on. I think I’ll like it for Summer Sausage and even jerky. Better still, it was a dented floor model at Lowe’s that I paid only $85 for. The 135 or whatever the model is. I tried getting a combo pellet stove/propane this year but the stores apparently didn’t want my money. It wasn’t local and they weren’t sure how to order it from a distribution center but “would take care of it Friday” not sure which one it’s been 6 mos now....

Favorite fish beyond sushi/sashimi is Mahi in a flakey breading with pineapple salsa. I’ve not tried making it at home yet.

I also shipped home about 30 full silver salmon fillets when we went to AK fishing. I cedar plank them with brown sugar, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and mustard powder. This rub is excellent on thick steaks too.

Gremcat

My wife does the “House if Autry’s” spiced breading on big Blue catfish chunks. I stopped going for them after hearing of the Coal Ash Spill in Kerr Lake/Gaston Lake along the VA/NC border.

A-5

So all oil when over heated and smokes is bad for you. Olive oil to a fry and not over heated is absolutely fine. Just saying

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Favorite fish beyond sushi/sashimi is Mahi in a flakey breading with pineapple salsa. I’ve not tried making it at home yet

I went Mahi fishing a few years ago. It was a “substitute” trip as we skipped NY Salmon that year. I’ve never had Mahi before but we caught plenty so I got to eat plenty. Other than Tuna, it is by far my favorite.

Don

Here is how it was explained: the temp that we brown most of our food at is very close to the searing point of olive oil. This is the temp where it becomes toxic to one degree or another. Certain other oils such as canola and grape for instance have a much much higher searing point. So the effect is that your food will brown nicely without the oil getting near the searing point. I did notice that Grape Seed Oil cost twice as much but you need literally half as much to do the job. Grapeseed oil also comes in a smaller container and takes up way less space on the counter. For a healthy alternative try olive oil on baked potatoes instead of butter or as a coating for pasta along with parmesan and garlic powder.
Tabouleh, Rice and Panfish:
IMG_5982.jpeg