Simple but encouraging article

A-5

You guys will hate me for this but it’s absolutely true. NY absolutely blows PA out of the water when it comes to fishing. They may not manage their state well but their outdoor program is second to none.

NY blows actually the entire nation out of the water with Smallmouth. Like pros calling it Disney of bass fishing. Meanwhile we have the Delaware,Lehigh,Susky and Pittsburgh rivers and blah we do absolutely nothing with them

Walleye can’t shake a stick to PA. NY lakes produce walley way more than PA does.

Panfish lol. NY is king.

Notice I didn’t mention salmon or steelhead. NY is king. No question there it’s like no wonder NY has better salmon and steelhead because you know we have three major rivers that flow to the ocean and steelhead and salmon could not survive the salt water

truecrimson

But NY is far away and I can't carry there. Still would probably go if it weren't so far.

Might do another trip to Lake Ontario when we can. We enjoyed the one in 2019 even though the only accomplishment was getting my wife her 'barfed on a boat' badge.

I liked NY more than the times I've gone to Mary Land or Dela Where, or Joisy. Will probably go to Joisy with Don this year and that will make it better. But I won't go a lot.

Reactions: A-5

Solitario Lupo

I do like NY but even they throw tigers into there waterways and in some ways do the same thing as PA with stocking multiple species that fight for food and survival.

As for some rivers in PA I would have to say they do manage some very well. Allegheny being one of them. Now they stock those big blue cats in Ohio and let’s see how they manage those.

pabassman

That’s funny that you say this as there is a lake by me that some people started throwing walleye in it. The fish comm did a survey and caught a couple. All they did was say for people to stop doing this as these fish are clearly living and doing good so why not stock them.
Same with two lakes near me. Silkworth is private but guys got walleyes from the river and put them in. Same with Ceasetown Res. Thats a water company lake that you can shore fish at. Both lakes are only a few miles apart. The Nanticoke boys got a bunch of walleyes and dumped them in. So instead of moving forward on this they decided to try Atlantic salmon in Harveys Lake. Failed miserably. They love their channel cats too!!!! :rolleyes:

Don

TC you are a clam.
I couldn’t beleive that they stocked gouldsboro many times with walleye. It there was ever a lake where they wouldn’t do well in it would be there. Although this many years later o e or two are caught every summer.
To me there is nothing wrong with our naturally occurring species. Let them be where they choose and manage them there. And I’m such an authority I know but I like to get A-5 fired up.

A-5

TC you are a clam.
I couldn’t beleive that they stocked gouldsboro many times with walleye. It there was ever a lake where they wouldn’t do well in it would be there. Although this many years later o e or two are caught every summer.
To me there is nothing wrong with our naturally occurring species. Let them be where they choose and manage them there. And I’m such an authority I know but I like to get A-5 fired up.
Next 10 years the go to trophy fish in PA will be Flats, Blue cats, snakeheads,Tiger musky and non belong in PA waters and two of the 4 are stocked.

A-5

I’ve don podcast on my hate for the commissions. It drives me nuts. I agree with Truecrimson. It’s to far to go. I honestly wish the waters were cared about and managed for fish. I 100 percent believe they are the laziest and worst run commissions in the country. Doe tags are paid to the county treasurer. $25 pheasant stamp. Trout stamp Erie stamp a musky stamp a kids stamp blah blah blah. Go help a kid fish without a license and get fined. Morons

Solitario Lupo

Just to throw this out there that there are a bunch of waterways here in PA as there are in NY and not every water way is a great trophy waters.
I've fished NY waters and thought I get into some nice fish cause some guy said it was great for this and still came out with only catching a 10 inch fish.
Not every water can be trophy waters. Sometimes you gotta go where the fish are.

A-5

Trust me

Oneida
ALL finger lakes
Chattaqua lake
Lake Erie
Lake Ontario
All their tribs
Lake george
Lake Champlain
St Lawrence river
Oz
Niagra

All waaaaaaaay better than PA trust me.

Melvinp

Gotta go with A5 on this NY is far better fishing overall than PA but NY has way more water but not all of ny stocking is done by the state a lot of clubs stock too especially onterio it’s all about the money.

Solitario Lupo

Lake Erie is great even on PA side so that doesn’t count to me. I wouldn’t count Niagara as it’s connected but is also mostly in NY. Those are both stocked from PA and NY. Ohio also stocking Erie and a bunch of clubs. Probably same with Ontario clubs and others. I’m mostly looking at smaller lakes that only the states fish comm handle.

You say lake chattagua like it’s a good thing to me but I’ve caught pretty much small panfish there just like most PA lakes and could fish a couple lakes by me that would put it to shame in my book. Tionesta lake being one. just my two cents as we all have are spots that produce fish, as some we go all day and never have a bite.

Don

T
Trust me

Oneida
ALL finger lakes
Chattaqua lake
Lake Erie
Lake Ontario
All their tribs
Lake george
Lake Champlain
St Lawrence river
Oz
Niagra

All waaaaaaaay better than PA trust me.
Of course. That is sooo easy to see. Those lakes are uniquely endowed to be Great Lakes for fish. They are deep, well fed, well drained in an area with much rain. PA has little of that. Nock is a sewer, Raystown is over used, Wallenpaupack is poorly filled and drained and way over used. There are more examples but no need. There success had nothing to do with management. It had all to do with their potential. Your argument is correct but misplaced. I don't want trophy waters. They are usually the result of very expensive human input. As a kid I remember fishing all the little creeks and streams and I had a blast. Pre-Nock Tohickon was a pickerel paradise and there were carp over two feet long. Same with the Neshaminy. I lived on the Deep Run and Branch Creeks and we could always find Bass and big green sunfish. Non-Trophy lakes and streams that become trophy streams are the result of higher costs to the consumer and restrictions of more and more of our freedoms. Try reading the fishing rules and how they are put together. Its all about you not being able to fully understand the rules. It keeps officials in a position of unelected power over you. I would like to see stream stocking stop and the folks that fish for them become proud of our native species (re-education). In our parks I'd like to see the trash emptied and all the Carry in-Carry out signage removed. Fire pits should be cleaned out, picnic tables repaired and bathrooms cleaned and replaced with flush toilets. Lighting needs to be studied. Some of the places I fish there is no lights at all. Most of the places I go there is never a ranger seen while other places you cant show up without being approached by enforcement officers. Keep Screaming and vote.

Don

Stocking destroys natures ability to restore self-tending fisheries. I we would blow our used dams and fix the migration issues we could be fishing for 5' eels and 3' stripers and annual migrations of salmon, steelhead and other migratory fish. The money generated by license sales could pay for most of this.