St Croix Disgust and tying my own blanks

Gremcat

I waited 3 mos and no response on repairing my Premium rod, only need a guide, and anything that can be done with my Darling Imperial. Wasn’t holding out much hope on that one. I own at least 6 of their rods and started buying vintage ones as well.

I called this week. I never ever call, I’m bad that way. I’ll text a storm, ask A-5, Ill email. I will never call. Maybe PTSD phobia after a gig a long ways back. Every call was a crisis for a Builder or Architect.

So I called, waited 15 mins, lots of friendly chit chat with lady. I buy their trout model as prizes for kids at our youth day and asking how they prefer to register warranties. Anyway, she acts like it’s odd I never got a response after auto response. I offer to forward her the warranty email response with details. She finally agrees and I confirm her email painfully slow just in case. She tells me it’s late afternoon but I’ll get a response in AM,,,,,,,,,, that was Tuesday,,,,,,,

I get they are busy but ain’t exactly Walmart rods I’m buying. Not top shelf at $300-500 avg but I buy US made to talk to people. I buy Danners at $4/500 and pay $300 for rebuilds. I’m not exactly a miser.

So unless there’s a strong reason for no response I’m done with St Croix. Sad because I’m getting to the point in life nostalgia is strong.

I guess it’s looking at rod building kits. I don’t have A-5s talent to make master pieces from home made tools. I regularly describe myself as “buy top tier tools and components, when I’m done it’s mediocre acceptable.” Are the Mudhole kits the best place to start for equipment? Is it one of those things that it’ll take 300 to be worth it and I’d be better ordering a half dozen in every style I like from a builder? I need a hobby like I need another dependent. I like long and/or one piece lightweights. I like cork and I like split cork(Thanks Z, I didn’t think I could get pickier lol). I’m struggle to find anything I like on a rack at BassPro. Closest I found was a tidy little UL from Fenwick with an odd shaped tiny cork tapered handle but I can’t find them online. I like the Omen too but not even available yet.

I do like the intricate wraps too. If I ever find a 5/6 wt Sage One Spey blank in the 13’ range I’ll have my next float rod.

Z’s prize rod checked a lot of boxes including the wraps. I love that rod with a Presidente xt 15 reel. The red and cork reel. A 7 yo that happens to be grandson of board President was cheated like my kids at our youth derby. I will spare ugliness but a few of us took him for jumbos after it ended. He had a Wally awful deal. I teased President of all people his grandson should be better outfitted. He told me the kid loves red so he found a cheap red rod. I was driving to hatchery chewing on the derby I put so much into. Turned around and gave the kid Z’s rod with the special edition red reel. He should’ve won a rod at the derby. He helps stock and last longer than all adults. Little guy is a worker.

So I’m running low on rods and disgusted with St Croix. Recommend some kits, turners, heaters, etc. and/or thoughts on other options. A 1 piece 2-6 lbs 7’6” split grip one piece is hard to come by and I like more specialized for anything beyond that.

Gremcat

I know TS will remind me he warned me about St Croix going downhill! I know I know, I just wanted more for them I guess

Don

Gary Loomis was celebrated last week for his birthday and his rods and many others at north fork composites are on sale. I hear theyre great blanks and I noticed they cover all sizes and fishing style. He is kind of a Top Dog and if I were you I'd take a look. here is one of the adds I received by email. I like most of what Mudhole sells but I obviously don't have your pocket book. You might do better at Northfork....who knows.

Solitario Lupo

This is where I bought everything and the guys there are great and will not screw you. I hear bad things about mudhole just like st Croix is s$!t to me, not worth it. I would never buy anything from st Croix. I’m hesitant to buy from mudhole.

Just my two cents but maybe if your just doing this for a couple of guides I would try something homemade so it’s not so expensive and only use it once or twice.

Reactions: Don

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
IMO, if you just want a good rod and not a hobby, buy one already built, either from a mass manufacturer or even local custom builder. By time you price components and then compare it to a similarly built one from a mass manufacturer, it's maybe 3/4 of the price but no warranty except by you of course. Once again though, if you are not looking for a hobby. Some people absolutely love building rods and if you have that kind of passion, it's worth it!

Obviously warranty is your complaint here. I suggest expanding your search to other manufacturers. You travel alot, if you can find a store that has many rods in stock, go in and give some a try that meet your criteria, do not look at brands, do not look at prices, you might just surprise yourself and save some money compared to St Croix.

Gremcat

Gary Loomis was celebrated last week for his birthday and his rods and many others at north fork composites are on sale. I hear theyre great blanks and I noticed they cover all sizes and fishing style. He is kind of a Top Dog and if I were you I'd take a look. here is one of the adds I received by email. I like most of what Mudhole sells but I obviously don't have your pocket book. You might do better at Northfork....who knows.

Or my gaggle of kids! Ha!

Gremcat

IMO, if you just want a good rod and not a hobby, buy one already built, either from a mass manufacturer or even local custom builder. By time you price components and then compare it to a similarly built one from a mass manufacturer, it's maybe 3/4 of the price but no warranty except by you of course. Once again though, if you are not looking for a hobby. Some people absolutely love building rods and if you have that kind of passion, it's worth it!

Obviously warranty is your complaint here. I suggest expanding your search to other manufacturers. You travel alot, if you can find a store that has many rods in stock, go in and give some a try that meet your criteria, do not look at brands, do not look at prices, you might just surprise yourself and save some money compared to St Croix.
I saw the 13something Omen and didn’t hate the fenwick. My gripe is I want a very unique, ok odd, rod for most types of fishing I do. I’ll pay a lot if I get the features I want and the support I expect. Sadly both are maybe a bygone era.

Gremcat

I saw the 13something Omen and didn’t hate the fenwick. My gripe is I want a very unique, ok odd, rod for most types of fishing I do. I’ll pay a lot if I get the features I want and the support I expect. Sadly both are maybe a bygone era.
10’ 2-6 lbs 2 piece at most, half recoil, half tall single foot expense plated guides, with a split grip cork? I know the answer but I don’t want that to be the answer 😂

Melvinp

I’m pretty much over the big name thing when it comes to fishing rods just bought a AbuGarcia vengeance combo 7ft med(fast action) with line and reel for 75 bucks.Even the cheaper stuff is pretty good these days and if I break it oh well.

Don M

I build MHX blanks from Mudhole. I have never had a problem with Mudhole. MHX have a lifetime warranty . They have you take a picture of the break, to see if it was an accidental break. I built a 7' saltwater rod for a friend (MHX). He tried to life 2 horseshoe crabs, straight up on a jetty and snopped it. Mudhole sent another blank, but you do pay shipping. My the way I love MHX blanks.

Reactions: Don

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Maybe try the same in 12’,,,,, it gets tough
I am loving my Dobyns Champion XP Rods. They’re a small company with great warranty and service. Just seeing the packaging when it arrives will tell you how much they care about their product.

Solitario Lupo

Warranties are only as good as the manufacturers make them. Some say like my Okuma reel lifetime but if I want it fixed or something happens it’s $60 so what kind of warranty is that. Rather just buy a cheapo if that’s the case.

Hook and hackle have a lifetime warranty on their blanks but who knows what they want. A lot just want you to pay for shipping.

I do have to say building one I got a very nice top of the line rod and saved myself $800 so i did think it paid off to go that route IMO but now I have all the stuff and don’t need to build another one. So I think if you would go this route might as well get into it.

A-5

I agree with Melvin. I think the right action/rod for the type of fishing is critical. Other than that. I just fish. The nicer equipment breaks like the cheap stuff anymore. LL bean is crap. Simms waders only a few years. And so on no point on spending tons.

Blackcat Outdoors

You want to see mad. Watch the guy's around here that come from NYC/New Jersey with 5k in fishing gear when you roll up next to them with an Ugly Stick and catch twice as many fish. 😁

Not saying it's wrong to want nice gear and I can definitely see the advantage and satisfaction from building a rod. That's less than half the story though. If you got the coin, go for whatever you want. I've been fishing mass market rods from Berkeley, and Lews for years and they work for me. I put a little more importance on reels and spend more there personally. Not by that much though. You'll find mostly Shimano and Penn hanging on my cheap rods.

HenryDavid

My fly rods for trout are cheap beater rods, I've broke too many while bushwacking. The Superfly rod I'm currently using was literally $20 on amazon. It has a fast action tip and takes a beating, landed several 20-25 inch trout on it. My bass rods are all St. Croix, I can feel every rock on a drift in the river, I would not use anything else.

Gremcat

I want to try the 13fish omen bad. It’s cheap enough. There was a real light one piece Fenwick too. Still nothing from St Croix
I’m pretty much over the big name thing when it comes to fishing rods just bought a AbuGarcia vengeance combo 7ft med(fast action) with line and reel for 75 bucks.Even the cheaper stuff is pretty good these days and if I break it oh well.