The fishing rut

Don

I'd love to test your advice and your generosity precedes you. however I'll probably not fish again until Ice out in spring. If this weather stays warmish like this I may fish lakers in Jersey right after the new year.
How long do the eggs keep in fridge?
I've no interest in stocked trout but would enjoy all other versions, wild, native, extraterrestrial and more.
Wife is recovering and I need to be here.

Solitario Lupo

Thing about eggs is sometimes they hit it to kill them for competition not so much they are eating it. Yes they do eat. I’ve fished some very low clear waters and I’ll watch the fish mouth them and spit out right away. Then the same fish do it all over again. They are line shy so if it keeps hitting then the line or hook is not scaring it away.

Solitario Lupo

Bows? I know brookies and browns spawn in the fall, I thought bows were more Jan. & Feb. ?
They all carry the eggs in the winter so any female has eggs. Some more developed than others but even the skein in sacs works.
Eggs work great even some days in the summer.

A-5

HD Shawn Holsinger verified what people have told me and that’s what I was going off of. Here’s what he said.
59A8854D-F081-4807-822C-28C485ED39E7.jpeg

Don

They all carry the eggs in the winter so any female has eggs. Some more developed than others but even the skein in sacs works.
Eggs work great even some days in the summer.
I have always thought of eggs as stocked trout bait. I wonder if they'd also work for any of the panfish species?

Don

So Grem. How about I stop by in march or April and you can show how to bait them up.

truecrimson

OK, so we have previously established that Don is anadromous (Lake Erie steelhead), and that he will hit on smaller panfish than Melvin or Randy (Report from Wyoming county). Now we know that he likes to eat trout/salmon eggs. The evidence is mounting Don. We know you are only posing as a human to take advantage of the knowledge and skill of members of this board ;)

Don

Ah you're onto me. Now, more bait caster questions are being posted on that post.
Lend me your expertise.

HenryDavid

I caught a few trout today, weather was mild. They weren't keyed in on anything in particular, got 1 on a wully bugger, one on a caddis worm and a couple on pheasant tail nymph. Last time camera malfunctioned, this time I left it in the car :( Week off now til New Year and weather is looking good, hoping to get out a couple more times but something will probably come up to screw that up.

Nappy

Are these folks being punished? Certainly they don’t engage in these activities deliberately. Running this way and that while hitting each other and running into walls.
Good way to train for tip up season