Video to show off my skills. Just can’t catch fish. Attention Don flipping and pitching practice

Don

Personal thing I guess. They usually last through three of my colleagues PC's.
I just ordered a panfish rod to build for my son's birthday. $128 and nothing special. I cleaned and shined this 40th Anniversary Johnson Century as sort of a memorial reel to commemorate his 40th birthday

Attachments

• tempImageAnPZcB.png
    tempImageAnPZcB.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImageo14Xtc.png
    tempImageo14Xtc.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 1

Don

Now, When I was surfing around looking for the deals and educating myself I found plenty of closeout blanks and ones that seemed like nice deals but as we all know a deal can only be a deal if it meets our needs. I'm not very comfortable with the amount of disposable income I can muster. If I know for sure what I'm after I'll be better able to recognize it when I see it. So precisely what am I after for general use with the bait cast reel above. You see that I have some pretty heavy jig heads ranging from 1/4 to 1 1/4 oz.. I have 15 lb line on the reel with 10 lb tippet so what rod strength is appropriate?

For a blank here is what I'd settle for: 7, 7 1/2 or 8'. MH strength, MF action. .42 to about .52 at butt, thinner if possible. made for line that is 8-15 or 10-20lb or so. 9, 10 or 11 guides?

Do you think otherwise? Please state it if you do. I'm getting close to making a purchase and I want to land somewhere in the middle of acceptability. I don't have many expectations because I haven't ever fished with a bait caster. Please put me in the middle somewhere.

Don

So much for buy American. Sixgill has only one made in USA ($289. forget it) and parts are sourced all over the world. So there isn't anyone in this category that makes them in America. The table is wide open.

"Announcing US Manufacturing -
From the day I started this business in 2008, my goal was to deliver a high quality product by controlling the manufacturing process. As a third-generation injection molder and a tool and die maker, I knew it made sense to eventually manufacture many of our components in-house.
I wish the circumstances would have been different regarding the issues surrounding us today. However, as our growth has exceeded our expectations, now is the right time to begin integrating our manufacturing processes. It's a wonderful thing when you produce quality products, put faith in your team, and treat customers right.
I take pride in our partnerships in China and will continue to do so. I've known our Chinese factory owners for over a decade; I consider them friends and have known them long enough that I have seen their kids grow up. They are aware of my background and we carry a mutual respect for all of our experiences.
Just over a year ago, I had a discussion with my team and our partners on what's next for Sixgill. That discussion went in several directions, but the one thing that has been consistent for me was manufacturing. This time, the team agreed with me.
With that in mind, as of today I'm announcing we will start the process of manufacturing a USA low-profile casting reel in TEXAS with certain components sourced with our current global manufacturers.
I've always stressed quality over origin. This project is no different. Delivering quality and value is our primary goal. I've also been on record saying when I feel we can match our current quality while producing in the US that we will do so.
We all feel a sense of pride in what we purchase regardless of the product’s origin. The sport of fishing is a pursuit where people take pride in enjoying every step of the experience. I want Sixgill to go beyond a simple purchase transaction and make it a brand with life-long friendships with each of our customers. This is just one way for us to achieve that goal.
All US parts will be produced in-house by Sixgill employees in Texas. The projected MSRP will be in the mid to high $200s and the reel will have a sales cycle that makes it attractive for everyone. The above photo is our first 3D print version of the US reel. It’s been changed since with design edits.
We plan on opening it up for pre-order on an upcoming date. At that time we'll offer it as a Deposit Program option. The description and technology of the reel will be discussed leading up to the pre-sale date.
On a personal note, this is a project I've been wanting for several years. Nothing about this business excites me more than being able to produce a product from start to finish. Now, having the ability to produce on two continents makes the entire process even more gratifying!"

1643823840346.png

"

A-5

Lol we could have avoided this if you would Have bought what we suggested in the first place bahahahahaha

Don

Yes, like mom always said. It’s not that I don’t hear but it is more that I don’t listen.

Melvinp

Here’s the only bait caster that I’ve spent any real time chucking it’s gotta be 20+ years old and finally just starting to have problems (never serviced )Never really used it for pitching just whipping things like spinner baits and rattle traps regret not serving it but it’s just plain wore out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Reactions: A-5

Don

How did you get that old reel on and off your snoopy rod?
Maybe someday your ship will come in and you can get a Shimano.

Melvinp

How did you get that old reel on and off your snoopy rod?
Maybe someday your ship will come in and you can get a Shimano.
Lol how many times have you casted a baitcaster reel of this design again oh I forgot you where using them back in the days before spin reels laugh my butt off.