What did you break today

Gremcat

For me it was my cabelas three forks fly rod that I bought as a combo For 89 bucks years and years ago. I bought a new pair of wading boots and wanted to try them. So I grab a good fly rod and my stuff and loaded up the truck. At the lasminute I switched rods to the cabelas rod because i didn’t want a good rod to be thrown in the back of the truck. I get to the creek, I set the rod against the truck, get dolled up in my waders, put my air pods and the secure my phone in a waterproof bag. All ready to go, all I need to do is close the tailgate. You guessed it, snapped it right in half So I reverse everything I just did, drive home and put everything away. So now I’m in need of a new beater rod.
Shoot me an addy, I have to get to PO to send one of our benevolent dictators something I promised weeks ago. If you like
You run some mean minnows for sure Grem!
Ha, I tried a hit and run but couldn’t get away. I maybe exaggerated a little.

Gremcat

My response was all jacked. Boot, if your out a fly rod shoot me a PM. May have an extra St Croix I could shoot your way.

A-5’s favorite Shakespeare is a household favorite despite Randy Z, A-5, and myself trying to educate em on better quality. They still go for the 4’6” Shakespeare. Almost insulting i swear.

Bootfoot

Thank you for the offer Grem but I already replaced the broken rod with a TFO and new Battenkill reel. I also repaired the broken rod by inserting an internal shim to support the two broken pieces. A little epoxy, some Kevlar thread and some more epoxy and it’s fixed.

A-5

My response was all jacked. Boot, if your out a fly rod shoot me a PM. May have an extra St Croix I could shoot your way.

A-5’s favorite Shakespeare is a household favorite despite Randy Z, A-5, and myself trying to educate em on better quality. They still go for the 4’6” Shakespeare. Almost insulting i swear.
Not insulting it’s a great rod my favorite of all time. I’ve bought countless

Gremcat

Pflueger president

Okuma cemar
I’m much more impressed with my President XT 15/20 ish, smallest they have over the much hyped Okuma Helios honestly. Okuma feels like it’s full of grit. No it’s not actually despite my best efforts. Felt rough from day 1. The President XT is sweet. The Daiwa BG20 is close but reel backwards and the stupid handle falls off. Plus when my Hugo brother fell on it right after I bought it they took FOREVER to fix requiring more than my limit of 1 follow up email. Bought him a temp President from WM and am so impressed when putting a reel on Z’s trophy rod I bought the XT. Won’t say the small size and color coordination wasn’t part of the decision but it’s a new favorite right behind my franken setup using the Sage 4560 with click drag.

Reactions: A-5

Gremcat

The salmon reel by Okuma is pretty sweet so it seems either I got a dud or they haven’t gotten the higher end models sorted yet.

Gremcat

My smallie fly reel is an Okuma SLV 7/8. I beat that thing badly, silt, sand, dirt, whatever. Cleaned it last fall and it's perfectly smooth.
Those are favored by the Lifting crowd for NY king salmon so can’t be low reliability. I swam with my first salmon longer than I care to admit on a big spinning setup and their power wore me out. I cant imagine that repeated stress level on a fly reel. Most guys are running 9’ heavies to so not much relief provided by the rod.