What did you Catch Today?

Don

That is just pressure when you see that many and won’t bite. They’ve had everything under the sun thrown at them and are skittish. Be the first there in the morning and you’ll get a few. Be the first there after a rain event and you’ll catch even more. Be the first there after no one has fished them for 2 weeks (doubtful haha) you’ll catch all of em.
While I hear you there were Russians bringing them in one after another and hauling them off. They couldn't speak inglis but man could they fish.
That’s why I like flies for trout. If nothing big works something smaller will. I’ve also learned to get picky trout a tandem rig or dropper works great. Especially in clear low waters.
It’s all about the cast and placement of the fly with a good drift that gets them picky ones. As I mess with them goldens and can take a couple hrs to finally get one.

Your big lures like spinners I see people walk in my holes I’ve been fishing to only cast right on top of them and spook them. Either cast down stream and come up into the fish or cast across to the other bank and come straight across the pod of fish. Believe me those fish see it.
There ain't no current. Its a lake. One guy sitting there limited out, saw my dilemma, and gave me the powerboat he caught them on. I rigged up same as he. I used his bait. I sat at his spot. I didn't even get a hit.
Can Trout tell when you hate them?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
While I hear you there were Russians bringing them in one after another and hauling them off. They couldn't speak inglis but man could they fish.
Were they snagging or using bait? My earlier comments were about spinners. If I really wanted to catch them for the table, power bait, pink worm, corn and worms.

Don

Whatever they were using they knew how to use it. One after another after another. Seems like they were using minnows and/or power bait back and forth. I was using worms…nothing. I tried pink bladed gold spinner made by a guy in Gilbertsville. I tried #2 Mepps, gold W/red barrel, dressed hook. I tried 4” Keitech. Both the shiners and the swing impact. Lastly I tried Joes flies: tiny little flies with a stinger hook. Lightly dressed with little feathers, cute. https://assets.basspro.com/image/list/fn_select:jq:first(.[]|select(.public_id | endswith("main")))/10058929.json?$Prod_PDPChartTN$
I had a blast as I proved different stuff wouldn’t work.
Then a caddis hatch came on and no one was catching. I went home at the second strike of thunder.
I think it’s all proof that it is personal. Stockies know I don’t like them and so they don’t work with me.
I did have a blast though. Met some nice people, appreciate Michael telling me about Hidden Lake. Last year TC and I slew large gills there.

Don M

Got out on Pennypack this morning, after yesterday's stocking. Picked up 11 browns, on gulp alive worms & a #2 panther martin gold blade black & yellow dots. Spent about an hour and a half their. Looks like I'm done till late next week, with all the rain coming. I'm keeping an eye on the water temputure for fluke witch opens Tuesday in NJ. Been told they start to be active at 55°.Manasquan is 54° today.

Gremcat

They were sold and the new owners changed a little. Better software for sure. I don’t think they are too strict though so that’s good.
Thanks for clarifying. Trout Traveler and Frank post their trips and I think I blended the two a bit. I’ve been over there and a bunch of other places under the same screenname. Makes it easy to remember.

I’ve enough politics in my life so if there are unfriendly posts I just skip over them. I try to avoid arguing with screen names. I’ve yet to see social media or forum arguments change opinions of most vocal. Us fair weather guys are persuaded more easily though I don’t recall in almost 20 years of outdoor forums having a heated debate with anyone so maybe it’s me.

I haven’t run into the obnoxious types in Pulaski, Erie, or the ones our co-op all seem to when stocking. I’ve not met a single person who wasn’t friendly at least a little. Guess I get lucky that way.

Gremcat

View attachment 5009
They seemed to be active in the creek but not in the lake. Tried garlic with no luck. Got 2 nice ones missed one.
Sweet, I loved the big Erie Canal carp in western NY years ago. Jokers would go nuts when hooked. Beyond corn up there and dog food here I’ve no idea how to catch them. Seen some of the craziness from Europe sports fishing for them.

Bucket list fish is a big pretty mirror carp. I think they are even in PA but not 100% sure.

Melvinp

There ain't no current. Its a lake. One guy sitting there limited out, saw my dilemma, and gave me the powerboat he caught them on. I rigged up same as he. I used his bait. I sat at his spot. I didn't even get a hit.
Can Trout tell when you hate them?
Umm there could be a current in a lake it’s all about the wind and boat traffic

Don

Got out on Pennypack this morning, after yesterday's stocking. Picked up 11 browns, on gulp alive worms & a #2 panther martin gold blade black & yellow dots. Spent about an hour and a half their. Looks like I'm done till late next week, with all the rain coming. I'm keeping an eye on the water temputure for fluke witch opens Tuesday in NJ. Been told they start to be active at 55°.Manasquan is 54° today.
The new pup is eating well!
I hope to hear a full stringer of fluke. Are you brining the spearing again?

Don

Umm there could be a current in a lake it’s all about the wind and boat traffic
Scuse’me! There weren’t no stinkin boat and there wasn’t a current. That does it. That bloody well does it. Melvin, you need to bust and fish this Gem of a lake with me like TC did. Then you can show me the current and point out all the boat traffic. I’ll be calling you.

Don M

She is a hand full! She was never an outdoor dog, she can't figure out she can't catch birds or squirrels. Always on the move, NEVER stops. But she does follow me every where!
Limit of fluke only did that once. Spearing is my bait of choice. I am looking forward to trying the Illuminated squid I boufgt. Probably more on my buddies boat, on thr drift.

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

Scuse’me! There weren’t no stinkin boat and there wasn’t a current. That does it. That bloody well does it. Melvin, you need to bust and fish this Gem of a lake with me like TC did. Then you can show me the current and point out all the boat traffic. I’ll be calling you.
Bahahahahha

Don

She is a hand full! She was never an outdoor dog, she can't figure out she can't catch birds or squirrels. Always on the move, NEVER stops. But she does follow me every where!
Limit of fluke only did that once. Spearing is my bait of choice. I am looking forward to trying the Illuminated squid I boufgt. Probably more on my buddies boat, on thr drift.
Keep us posted. I have to watch TC this month or I’d go with you.

Gremcat

I’m. Confused. U mean just brass? No paint? They catch bass, trout, pickerel and panfish on just gold? As a kid, pre-nock, in deep run and Tohicon creeks I only owned threw gold and it always seemed to get the bigger panfish. In Gouldsboro I get the bigger panfish and pickerel. Seems too easy to talk about. Only ever caught two trout on spinner.
Like these except the beads get larger in series and last one is white.4531C75E-4FD1-4730-88D3-29F651296E91.jpeg