What did you Catch Today?

Gremcat

Only smallie I caught before moving to PA my uncle lived on a reservoir. I took my GF, now wife up to his place and his son was a 8-9 yo. He wanted to go down to water so I grabbed an old spincast zebco thing I’d never seen before, 3-4 tiny bullfrogs out of their chicken pond, and took him down. Lip hooked a frog and first cast we had a 6-7 lbs smallie. Bigger than 90% of the largemouth I’d caught in my life honestly. Kid was hooked after that and I didn’t realize just how big a smallie it was thinking they’d likely be the same size as large mouth having never seen one.

Only walleye I ever caught was there to. Beautiful reservoir and some areas are amazing to view. I didn’t know how to fish a waterway over 15’ so I just used worms and let line out of the canoe until it stopped. First fish I caught was a 14” walleye. I had no idea what I’d caught and we rowed to shore. Somehow my uncle and his buddies where at shoreline and one told me what it was and that it was 1” over legal. I didn’t know seasons existed then or any other laws really. Trout in Berkshires and Catskills might be legendary but they are just that, legends or more accurate myths.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Crankbaits, buzzbaits, jitterbugs, always selected on my Christmas list from the big catalogs but nothing I’d ever seen actually catch anything. As a teen I tried a few and seemed ridiculous so I pivoted back to old tried and true. Red and white or “stealthy” orange and yellow bobber and a dorsal hooked shiner.
I have bought my fair share of baits and colors…..I consider myself a victim of the marketing machine. Lol.

Gremcat

Back using Spincast after 50 yrs away.
That was 15 years ago lol. Now I begrudgingly schlep a spinning reel. I couldn’t bring myself to throw my Sage Click on one of the other NOS St Croix 5/6wt rods I have in the rack.

Found a 8’6” Imperial 2 piece on EBay in the copper/brown blank color but hung up because it wasn’t 8’ like my favorite. I normally like long for style rods but that one had some magic to it. I tried the 9’ 6wt NOS Avid a few years ago when I got it and it felt odd. Probably should resell them but kept as guest rods. I should’ve grabbed the Imperial. I want to say they were 375 or 400 new back then. It sold for $75 and looked used but not trashed. The 2 piece don’t pop up often and never in an 8’ from what I’ve found.

Don

Keep them all. You’re generous and will come upon folks less fortunate that will be greatful.

Don

Top secret lol They are called Min o Spins. Can't really find them much, Amazon has them for stupid prices.
I just spent too much time online looking around for these. The internet is almost out of these specific spinners. I think trout season has wiped these out. 1/16th to 1/8th is what I'm after. On Ebay I bid on 6-1/24th for for 5$ doubt I'll win them and not especially willing to raise price for 1/24th. This is spinner/spoon and Jerkbait year for me and I don't mind finding or buying what others are succeeding with.

Melvinp

Top secret lol They are called Min o Spins. Can't really find them much, Amazon has them for stupid prices.
Sorry lol Johnson Minnow Spins I like um too they’re pretty heavy for the size but I’ve had problems with the wire bending near the blade with the smaller ones

Reactions: MB3

Gremcat

I just spent too much time online looking around for these. The internet is almost out of these specific spinners. I think trout season has wiped these out. 1/16th to 1/8th is what I'm after. On Ebay I bid on 6-1/24th for for 5$ doubt I'll win them and not especially willing to raise price for 1/24th. This is spinner/spoon and Jerkbait year for me and I don't mind finding or buying what others are succeeding with.
There’s a guy named Frank Nale in PA that makes spinners cheaper than I can get components for. They are the stacked silver or gold bead style with the last bead being White, red, blue, etc. He goes by Trout Traveler I think on other forums. I’m pretty sure TS knew him. He keeps a running tally of fish each year, all wild spawn. He sells me spinners by the dozen and the first time told me 99% of his catches are just the white bead. It’s the flash they hit. He makes colored beads for people who camp in one area and cast to the same trout. I don’t spinner fish but my brother has done really well with those.

I tried the rapala F-7 I think it’s called. Maybe the super bean or whatever the short, fat lipped minnow is but never caught on them myself.