What did you Catch Today?

Gremcat

Highly recommend fishing here between November and March for bigger fish and tolerable temps. 105 with heat index, glad I picked a big boat with AC. It wasn’t much different but enough to minimize heatstroke. All got boat sick and family slept a lot on the boat but did get in on fishing when action was good. Mahi may be a new favorite to target. Beyond the cool behavior, the method of keeping one hooked behind boat bringing in most of the school, and the way they turn from neon blue to neon green like a light bulb when they are hooked and reeled near the boat.

Gremcat

Even managed to somehow hook a huge parrotfish but I muscled him too much and his beak wasn’t hooked well.

The tarpon at marinas are awesome but hard to find in fishable places. I managed the one on a mahi belly. That tarpon was about 4’. Just a little guy by comparison to 200 lbs residents. Going bridge hopping tonight maybe and hitting Bahia Honda sand bars today. Tomorrow we are on to Miami and then up to West Palm Beach 3.5 days though one morning I’ll be in the plant there.

Gremcat

Our dock is where the tarpon and surprise snook got caught. Lost a big tarpon when I was slow to realize I had it and it had me all wrapped in dock pylons. Manatees and their babies keep coming in to grab fish carcasses making it a little worrisome to fish there. So much for vegetarians only lol.

Don

Hot and hotter! Luckily managed to catch the two fish on my list. Not season for sails or tuna and guide wanted no part of me trying to hook the 1k lbs bull shark that kept sniping our yellowtail. I was eyeing his bigger rods but closest was rigged for the chance encounter of a Marlin or sailfish.

Had a king bite me off. Had a random wahoo hit an outrigger ballyhoo feather we dragged behind us in wake but missed hook by 1” and bit off 3/4 of the ballyhoo.
Lots of snapper over in Destin. We used to go for them and Amber Jacks.

Reactions: A-5

Gremcat

We booked an additional night and canceled Miami Hilton night. I’ll take mom
And my niece to the airport tomorrow then we head on to West Palm Beach until Wed.

Gremcat

That is really cool. nostalgia of the best kind.
Been dreaming about it since reading island in the stream as a kid. Well, I read until the war section maybe 4 times but should finish it. Gram got me a black and white book at a yard sale for fishing records and I got obsessed with Marlin and Mahi. I didn’t realize Marlin off OBX in Sept is where it’s at or Costa Rica. Hemingway wrote about the keys and cuba so I assumed this was the place to be.

I could hit a bridge I know of and scratch permit off while here but think I’m enjoying the beach while kids are right behind me at pool and can run down to land fish. Seeing everyone under the bridge crowded up today didn’t look fun. I hear they scatter at dark and fishing the streetlight reflection is where the bite is at.