What was I thinking

Don

I bought these two for $21 for both. They don't appear to ever have had line on them. Kmart Sportfisher Pflueger 1495 knockoffs. They're actually pretty. I have two 7year old twin grandsons and these may make a nice birthday gift some year. the Grandkids weren't born until K-Mart was folded. To them these are Classics. We'll see if an interest in fly fishing develops. At 8 they're just mastering bluegills on Zebco's and they're doing pretty good. IMG_0181 copy.JPG

Gremcat

Sweet, have to drag em out to the dock for once they get a little practice. It’ll ruin them forever hahaha

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

No better time to start teaching take them out in the yard set up a target and make a game of it

Don

Now wait. That is too advanced as they show me up in no-time unless it is big enough to stand in the target.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 0

Don

Now to find two identical rods. To balance these large reels the rods should be longer than what I fish, thinking 6wt 9' minimum but am waiting to find out what size others use with their larger Medalists.

Melvinp

I was thinking 11/2 crickets lol I would avoid any hooks by the way just use bare (very cheap) fly line they will like the crack like a whip when they start getting good or a float on 2 ft of mono on the end

Melvinp

I switched this year largely to barbless and am loving it.
Barbless are cool but ever once in a while when you get a big smart fish on and #>¥]=|€~!~~^ it’s gone I prefer micro barb’s they still hold but don’t leave such a big hole when removed most of the time and you can always crush the barb ( live bait)

Reactions: Don

Don

Except for bait I prefer barbless. I've been crushing them for some time but many hooks that were intended to be barbless are shaped a bit different to hold fish better. This hook is actually a prime example of a good fish holding hook but I don't like the shank .