Baitcasters

Don

Now, What line doe you use on these. I was thinking 6 or 8. Floro or mono. Or 12-17lb braid.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Now, What line doe you use on these. I was thinking 6 or 8. Floro or mono. Or 12-17lb braid.

When it comes to baitcasters, I find line diameter to be the more telling number than weight. Certain diameters will birds nest or backlash on you and it does depend on your casting and control.

My best recommendation, start with whatever cheap mono you have laying around and run with it. See how much control you have and if you birds nest a lot and use it as a gauge for the route to go forward with.

Personally, I run Sunline Assassin Floro on most of my reels (cha-Ching!). 15lb on the 150 series, 10lb on the 70 series. I also run 30lb Power Pro Braid on 150 as well. After trying MANY lines, I feel these give me the right line for the right baits and features I fish with a lot of control.

Don

Flip what? I have no money. Just bought the reel. That cleaned me out. They said to start with 10 mono or 12 floro. Save the braid for later. I own the mono but I bet this will be the first time I switch to floro. The reel is the cheapo Kastking. First new reel in many many many years.

Don

I am amazed...just had an education. There isn't the term same-old-same-old as it applies to line. Wow, very nuanced these days. One of the things I noticed is that the diameter varies from item to item and maker to maker. I found braid that is a hair smaller at 30lbs test than the same manufacturers primary mono. But the same company sells braids that were 3 times that diameter for their other 30 lb braids.
Wow, makes the head spin.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I am amazed...just had an education. There isn't the term same-old-same-old as it applies to line. Wow, very nuanced these days. One of the things I noticed is that the diameter varies from item to item and maker to maker. I found braid that is a hair smaller at 30lbs test than the same manufacturers primary mono. But the same company sells braids that were 3 times that diameter for their other 30 lb braids.
Wow, makes the head spin.

I was educated myself with line once I got into the baitcasters. Of course the line I ended up really liking is as pricey as it comes.

Don

It would seem that this type of reel is almost evenly split btwn the braid, mono and floro fans. Interesting. So the reels provide an opportunity for everyone to use their dream lines and experiment a bit. In time one will find their favorites.
Thanks for all the help.

Don

I was at Cabelas last night talking to Jayme in the reel dept. Hge stated that 15lb mono would be a good start but that I will naturally sort it out over the years. He said that the thicker the better for beginners . So I will put a 12 or 15lb mono on the reel. Then he mentioned to not bother with a swivel but go right to the leader with the line and using an Albright or Alberto Knot (easy peazy). Then he mentioned Seegaur Blue Floro leader or if I needed cheap then try the Kastking Co-poly/floro coated leader. He mentioned that the Alberto is the skinniest of all Braid to Floro knots and that he makes his leaders 10-15' and has no issues with the knot feeding through the guides.
So here I lay it out:
-12-15lb line on the spool (eventual goal may be 30lb braid)
-10 lb Floro leader attached with an Albright or Alberto (same knots basically)
-No swivels needed as the reels don't cause much curling as they load onto the spool as you retrieve.

He seemed quite assured and was a good communicator. But I want your opinions.

Don

Correct. Not for northens, blues or musky. But otherwise where I should be for a beginning?

Solitario Lupo

Could always begin with that then change up when you get better with it but even then one bad cast with a baitcaster all goes wrong. It still happens at least once a trip for me.

Reactions: Don

Don

You may notice that I'm trying to beat this subject to death. We covered Reels. Then we covered Line. Now I want to cover rods. I've Noticed allot to you young buck stomping all over this precious state carrying busted up junk rods where half the handle is missing right out of the middle of the handle. What gives? Can't you afford the whole handle? Please explain why it is so important to look like a Hobo. I may want to join you just to look trendy. I like handles like this:

Unknown.jpeg

But I see allot of folks, must be from poor upbringing or something that are carrying rods like these worn out things, half gone, rod blank exposed and handle now in two or three pieces:

Unknown-1.jpeg

Please tell me what benefit there is in having these half-handle styles lest I make the mistake of buying more complete and conventionally styled rods.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I was at Cabelas last night talking to Jayme in the reel dept. Hge stated that 15lb mono would be a good start but that I will naturally sort it out over the years. He said that the thicker the better for beginners . So I will put a 12 or 15lb mono on the reel. Then he mentioned to not bother with a swivel but go right to the leader with the line and using an Albright or Alberto Knot (easy peazy). Then he mentioned Seegaur Blue Floro leader or if I needed cheap then try the Kastking Co-poly/floro coated leader. He mentioned that the Alberto is the skinniest of all Braid to Floro knots and that he makes his leaders 10-15' and has no issues with the knot feeding through the guides.
So here I lay it out:
-12-15lb line on the spool (eventual goal may be 30lb braid)
-10 lb Floro leader attached with an Albright or Alberto (same knots basically)
-No swivels needed as the reels don't cause much curling as they load onto the spool as you retrieve.

He seemed quite assured and was a good communicator. But I want your opinions.

All sounds good. The only thing I’ll add is depending on your tip top size, even an Alberto can grab at times. Not bad but you’ll feel the tick. Some alleviate this by using an FG knot when using a say 3’ leader but I caught a video one time of Seth Feider where he said to make your leader twice your rod length. The idea is that by time your knot gets to the tip, the line is straight and you don’t feel the knot go through. Not a bad idea I thought.

Don

I had heard that on a YouTube I had watch and forgot to save. Some use clay but with poor success in keeping it in place. Darn you TS and TC shaming me into going this direction. Even the TunkTwins tried to warn me off.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I had heard that on a YouTube I had watch and forgot to save. Some use clay but with poor success in keeping it in place. Darn you TS and TC shaming me into going this direction. Even the TunkTwins tried to warn me off.

LOL I really do enjoy it though, especially jig fishing. Better sensitivity and hooksets are hard to deny.

Don

It came:
There is no Doubt! Its me.....I love it....now come cut me loose please!

Attachments

• 4927644446_8559bfd189_c.jpg
    4927644446_8559bfd189_c.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 2

truecrimson

Use clay for what?

Hey I lied and told everyone I had given up on this, don't blame me ;)