Baitcasters

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
No one ever commented on the part where I asked why they're using junkie handled rods where the blank is actually showing in the middle. I don't get it. Is there a good reason for that?

I honestly don’t know if there is a reason. I have both types. My hand never goes in the blank area, whether corked or not. I like the look of the broken up handle though but that’s about it.

Don

You’re happy. All that matters. I’ll be fishing one this coming year and just maybe I’ll like it.

Don

Bought a second Kastking Royal Legend. It seems that one will always be seriously tangled and shelved while the other is in use. Genius.....me having two identical baitcasters, ya know?
Here is what I got: 15 lb Kastking Mono, 10lb Kastking floro leader.

Attachments

• IMG_2237.jpeg
    IMG_2237.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2233.jpeg
    IMG_2233.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2233 2.jpeg
    IMG_2233 2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Don

lol, you must've had this disease at one time or another, ;-)

Todays casting session resulted in a number of great side casts but in the end I had a nice pileup. This time, because of having been warned I did not yank on it and was successful in detangling. I feel like an Over-Comer now!!!

Last edited:

truecrimson

I had that disease before. Had up to 4 infections of Daiwa Minis at once. I think I have multi purchase antibodies now ;)

Reactions: A-5

Don

I've watched a bunch of videos in the last couple of days and hoping to get some additional instinct on this type of casting. I have adjusted the fall or drop properly and have set the magnets on all the way for now. Using a 1/2 ounce weight I began threatening the nature all around me. It seems that, at least at the beginning, one must concentrate allot more.
Question: Should I mostly learn to side-cast or is overhead casting okay? Side casting and loop casting feels pretty good but it seems I get more birds nests than when I overhead cast. Which method do you use the most?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I am mostly a side arm caster. I do cast overhead once in a while if I’m trying to get way out there, especially in salt conditions. One hint to help alleviate backlash is to turn the reel so the spool rotation is vertical instead of horizontal before the lure hits the water. I don’t make it a habit to do that all the time, just when I am trying to get maximum distance.

Don M

Note to self. Your 70 to late to start baitcasting/flyfishing. Continue to have fun fishing, don't over think it.

A-5

Don. Adjusting the reel will help with back lash. Maybe I’ll teach ya how to flip this summer lol

Don

I have it almost perfectly adjusted. It is my casting accuracy that has to improve. It is when I screw up a cast and the presentation falls short that the spool keeps turning. No big deal accept when I forget to thumb the spool to a stop. When I forget then BLAM!, Birdsnest!

Don

For these two reels I switched to Kastking mono line. It is bright green and so much more visible.....helpful for me to see what is going on. To this I will add 10-15' of Floro leader.

Don

Have you ever heard of The Legend of Super Skier (Chad Mitchell trio). Here is a sampling of the lyrics:

"Now the moral of my story
Though my story's kinda gory
Is very simple even to a dope
You buy the fastest clothes you can,
Then talk skiing like a man,
But don't let people catch you on the slope!"

The moral of the song, especially as it is applied to fishing is that its easy to talk big. I'm a professional talker!