License went up

pabassman

HD. NY is the Mecca of Smallmouth. They grow three times bigger in general than most PA fish. Erie is producing 8lb er however. Here’s a example
It really is a special area. Are those river smallies resident fish or do they make a seasonal run to the rivers? That would make a difference in their size. All the Great lakes, Cayuga, Champlain, even Onieda grow bigger smallies than anywhere here in PA. I sure the size of the lakes plays a roll in that. The gobies have made a tremendous impact on the size of these fish.

pabassman

PFBC-consumption-advisory-2022.pdf

You can do what you want But I stick to the plan. Two meals a month. With both bass's I try to stay close to the Legal limit. I throw the big ones back Lest I need a respiratory Spesh Iist!
I find myself sceptical on the consumption advisories, either some bs or something odd happening. Mercury is the biggest issue. It's know it transfers from adult into a fishes eggs. Wallenpaupack has a warning for walleyes, had it for many years. The fish commish nets THOUSANDS of walleye from there every spring. They are stripped at the hatchery, the fry/fingerlings are stocked across the state.

Don

I find myself sceptical on the consumption advisories, either some bs or something odd happening. Mercury is the biggest issue. It's know it transfers from adult into a fishes eggs. Wallenpaupack has a warning for walleyes, had it for many years. The fish commish nets THOUSANDS of walleye from there every spring. They are stripped at the hatchery, the fry/fingerlings are stocked across the state.
You should be Leary of advisories and other public service announcements. Mask up and wash for 20 seconds and you'll be fine!

If I understand it properly its only the fat of larger and much older fishes that you need to worry about. This type of Mercury is about harmless from an egg for any one. The sussepability in Humans is limited, (generally) to Childbearing age women and children that are still developing body and mind. Old Fart Men are not generally harmed by this Mercury. PCB's and other items will hurt all. Eat the younger fish, don't eat the roe (I've eaten allot of bass roe), and cut off the belly meat (I love the belly meat).

Eat young, small Fishes!!!

A-5

Yup he came home today. I may have to bite my tongue for giving up. Who comes home with snow on the ground. I’m built different

Don

Yup he came home today. I may have to bite my tongue for giving up. Who comes home with snow on the ground. I’m built different
You should head up there with Allan and Dave some year. The group started in the 30's with Marty Beers and some other dudes from Dublin and so forth. That was back when all the side roads in Bedminster and Plumbstead Twsp were Gravel. Potter was like wilderness back then.

pabassman

You should be Leary of advisories and other public service announcements. Mask up and wash for 20 seconds and you'll be fine!

If I understand it properly its only the fat of larger and much older fishes that you need to worry about. This type of Mercury is about harmless from an egg for any one. The sussepability in Humans is limited, (generally) to Childbearing age women and children that are still developing body and mind. Old Fart Men are not generally harmed by this Mercury. PCB's and other items will hurt all. Eat the younger fish, don't eat the roe (I've eaten allot of bass roe), and cut off the belly meat (I love the belly meat).

Eat young, small Fishes!!!
I believe it is more in the fat. The advisories aren't for fish over a specific size/age. Its for all sizes. I'm not talking about consuming the roe :sick:. I have read that mercury does transfer for the adult to the eggs. If that is the case then the newly hatched fish already have a mercury content, regardless how small the amount. So why are they taking spawners from an Advisory water and spreading the offspring all over the place?

truecrimson

So much for all the people telling me for decades that we need regulatory agencies to protect us...EPA, your doing a bang up job of protecting us and the environment. Keep up the good work, boys :rolleyes:

Don

I believe it is more in the fat. The advisories aren't for fish over a specific size/age. Its for all sizes. I'm not talking about consuming the roe :sick:. I have read that mercury does transfer for the adult to the eggs. If that is the case then the newly hatched fish already have a mercury content, regardless how small the amount. So why are they taking spawners from an Advisory water and spreading the offspring all over the place?
You have to read on for that. The size(meaning age) of the fish determine how much bio-accumulation has taken place. The amount from and egg of the donor is insignificant. The fish has to eat and eat and to accumulate the mercury. One 2 yr old Bass would have very little compared to and old codger. And besides, you aint nursing' are ya?

Don

If I understand it the mercury is partially natural and partially industrial. All of it is in and aerosol form as it exists in our waters. And it isn't from here but rather all points west of us.

Don

Young bass are deeeelish. Not all of us can live on slim Jims and Tater Chips like you.

Uh, umm, you do know you're supposed to scale them???