New 14' Skiff

Don

Disaster Struck. My wife lost her job effective late May 2022. This was supposed to be the year I built my dream boat. To be safe we will put it off for a while and instead I will finish my half built fishing skiff. This boat will handle two with the dog or three without the dog. I like the Dog when possible.

It occurred to me that since the lions share of the Lakes I fish are electric motor only why not, initially anyway, make this a wholly electric boat. What type of gear would I want on such a craft? If I skip the gas motor and helm that would leave 2-3k extra for battery, motor(s) and Fish finding electronic.

What gear would you prioritize as 'necessary' Knowing there won't be an engine.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Sorry to hear about your wife's job.

I assume you would be powering from the rear (stern) and operating the skiff tiller style?

I have seen people power from both ends. Using the bow as the traditional stand up and fish, pound banks, etc. and then an additional tiller TM at the stern to push the boat as a gasser replacement. There are many options in equipment and pricing is all over the board, let me know your thoughts and I might be able to make some suggestions.

One thing I would prioritize though is the batteries to power that equipment. I know Lithium is more expensive but the weight saved is impressive, especially considering if they need to be removable. Lithium power delivery is also more consistent than traditional or AGM batteries. I have done ALOT of homework on lithium so I can help there for sure.

Melvinp

14 ft 3 people weight will be an issue especially after loaded down so any weight saving things you can do will probably be worth it. Trolling motor wise 1 front 1 rear is very nice just like TS said front for casting docks and shoreline rear for trolling and loading and it very nice to be able to keep the boat tracking the way you want in a drift.

Don

"14 ft 3 people weight will be an issue" Depends on how fast it sinks, who are aboard and whom has THE life preserver.

TS I thought maybe one good motor on the front for fishing. Hopefully some kind of reasonable fish finder with gps. I could wire in lights or just use the nice battery powered ones I have on the drift boat. They last for days on batteries. Do I really need a motor on the back if the one on the front is powerful? I do have the small enduro C2.

Attachments

• 2006_0107valli0005-980x735.jpg
    2006_0107valli0005-980x735.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Don

BTW, Just like the drifter, It will be built to USGC standards and will be surveyed and given a title and reg. It is a work boat style and not elabobate.

Don

Do I need Saltwater. I may do some bay fishing but would I be better to hold until I get a gasser for that? I was looking at this level on down...with the freshwater version being $300 less:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
"14 ft 3 people weight will be an issue" Depends on how fast it sinks, who are aboard and whom has THE life preserver.

TS I thought maybe one good motor on the front for fishing. Hopefully some kind of reasonable fish finder with gps. I could wire in lights or just use the nice battery powered ones I have on the drift boat. They last for days on batteries. Do I really need a motor on the back the one on the front is powerful? I do have the small enduro C2.

One motor on the front is sufficient IMO. The only thing you have to consider with just front power is that loading and unloading at ramps will have to be done by rope so you'll want to have some hip waders or muck boots around where docks are not within reach.

I would not recommend saltwater with just TM power. If you told me you were just going to do the back canals of Wildwood or something because you have a dock at the back of your house, I could see that but anything else, you're underpowered. Once again, this is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt ;).

With the boat style you pictured, are you looking at creating a casting deck up front or would you leave it open? Do you see yourself as primarily a Bass Angler or would the boat be more for multispecies? I ask because if Bass, I would lean towards a cable pedal drive but if multispecies, you could go tiller, electronic pedal or if you wanted to get fancy, a handheld remote.

Would you want spot locking?

Do you know the weight of that boat?

Do you know the waterline height (top of bow to water)?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I just re-read.....back to the saltwater thing as you want to wait for gas before saltwater. If you are good about rinsing your boat after saltwater use, say with Salt-Away, you are fine. I ran a non-salt Powerdrive on my last boat for 3 seasons and the only issue was some corrosion on the 4 cover screws. A quick trip to the hardware store and some new stainless screws cured that. MinnKota does use different seals and stainless steel screws on their saltwater version whereas Garmin makes them all saltwater capable. I believe Motorguide does as well but I will have to double check that.

Don

It will be just under 500 lbs. do I want 55 or 70 lb thrust? Bow to top of water will vary with loading. It’s a light small craft but should come in around 26-30”.
Spot locking is some thing I thought of.

I don’t plan on a front bass style deck as it would make it front heavy and tippy. The dory style is what makes this boat capable of a good bit of chop and front weight would ruin the advantage.

I also don’t want to go overboard. This boat will be used hard and will be beached allot. Last thing I need is extras to ruin.

Don

I am not good at rinsing boat and usually don't do anything to it other than rinse it out and paint annually. When I had the fiberglass Carolina Skiff I usually washed it for each use.

You asked If I was considering myself to be primarily a bass fisherman. Actually I prefer large panfish and am trying to learn to troll for lakers and suspended Stuff.

Is it best to stay in the Minnkota Camp if I want parts and service?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Due to your fishing style, it screams transom mount to me. When I think of Bow mount, I think precision control so an angler can pound banks or structure hands free. Since you lean to Trolling, Panfish and especially Beaching, I do not see any benefit of a bow mounted motor. Spotlock however is not available in Transom Mounted motors.

If Spotlock is a must, the cheapest Bow TM that includes Spotlock is $1250 ($1550 for salt) in the PowerDrive 55lb/54". Pretty pricey when you compare say a Minnkota Traxxis at $400 ($500 for salt) for a 55lb./42". I am using 42" as an example as I do not know your transom height. If it is less, the price will be less.

I lean to MinnKota because of the superior Spotlock compared to the Motorguide but if spotlock is not in the mix, I think you could roll the dice on manufacturer. Sure, there are more MinnKota service centers around but service and parts availability at this time has many MinnKota owners frustrated.

A couple of things to note. I am using 55lbs as the goto thrust. You could go less on that size boat but why go less if it fits in the 12V range. You can always go slower to save the run time but every reviewer I have ever watched all said how nice it was to move up to 55lbs. I am also using the Traxxis as the goto Transom Mount motor. With the tilting handle and quality of construction over the next model (Endura), it is worth every penny.

Don

A couple of things to note. I am using 55lbs as the goto thrust. You could go less on that size boat but why go less if it fits in the 12V range. You can always go slower to save the run time but every reviewer I have ever watched all said how nice it was to move up to 55lbs. I am also using the Traxxis as the goto Transom Mount motor. With the tilting handle and quality of construction over the next model (Endura), it is worth every penny.
Most of the guys I asked on Gouldsboro and Mauch Chunk advised the 55 as minimum. On my 12' drifter I can't put the small 36lb motor on either end as the hull has so much rocker and the least movement on my part pulls the prop out of the water. So I have it on the starboard side back as far as I can reach. Its horrible but helps me cover oodles of water to get to key locations.

I'm not in the least disappointed but I expected you to argue more for the spot lock . I just don't know that it is worth twice the cost on a rather entry level boat. I wish Garmin made some cheapies.

I had heard that a more powerful motor does not give a higher speed and the pitch of the prop is set to around 5mph. Any thoughts on this?

Would you rig for 12 vt or 24? 1, 2 or 3 batteries?

I have my eye on a 7" Garmin but there are others. It seems at the $350 - $600 range GPS becomes pretty standard. with this little and cramped boat I don't think too much emphasis should be put on plotters but then I really wouldn't know. Since there is a Hummingbird on the drifter would it be wise to stay in the same family of finders on this boat? Is there any advantage?

Attachments

• GetImage.ashx.jpeg
    GetImage.ashx.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Most of the guys I asked on Gouldsboro and Mauch Chunk advised the 55 as minimum. On my 12' drifter I can't put the small 36lb motor on either end as the hull has so much rocker and the least movement on my part pulls the prop out of the water. So I have it on the starboard side back as far as I can reach. Its horrible but helps me cover oodles of water to get to key locations.

I'm not in the least disappointed but I expected you to argue more for the spot lock . I just don't know that it is worth twice the cost on a rather entry level boat. I wish Garmin made some cheapies.

I had heard that a more powerful motor does not give a higher speed and the pitch of the prop is set to around 5mph. Any thoughts on this?

Would you rig for 12 vt or 24? 1, 2 or 3 batteries?

I have my eye on a 7" Garmin but there are others. It seems at the $350 - $600 range GPS becomes pretty standard. with this little and cramped boat I don't think too much emphasis should be put on plotters but then I really wouldn't know. Since there is a Hummingbird on the drifter would it be wise to stay in the same family of finders on this boat? Is there any advantage?

Spotlock - Anyone that knows me knows I like my tech and that I am not afraid to spend money when it comes to fishing but even I can be reasonable at times. ;). It is a really nice feature but near $1k?, Nah. A rope and a paint bucket of concrete works too.

Don't even question the voltage, 12V all day long. You just have to decide if you want a big ol 27 or 31 series battery to lug around or if you want to lose some weight, including in your wallet. You could wire 2 or even more 24 series batteries in parallel to remain at 12v to make lifting them out easier, if that is required. Going lithium would be about 4x the price so that's a tough call too. You know what I would do there, lithium all day long for me.

Their is no reason to remain in the HB family to match your current unit. The best bang for the buck in fish finders right now is the Garmin Ecomap UHD 93SV with the GT54 Transducer. It can be had for $699 right now almost everywhere....while supplies last. While Cabelas or Bass Pro does not advertise it online, there are still some in the stores. The GT54 Transducer is the last generation of transducers but is still very good. In comparison to the current GT56, the GT54 is 350 Watts while the GT56 is 500 but the 93sv that includes the GT56 is $1100, not worth the difference. I would highly suggest seizing this deal as soon as possible.

Melvinp

Gotta watch when you go over 12volts you have to make sure all your electronics will handle 24/36/48

Don

Melvin,
What days of the week are you not using your batteries?

Trouspinster,
Would a 100Amp lithium Ion go for two days, noon to dark with a 55lb TM plus finder?

A-5 and those that camp,
how do you recharge your batteries in campgrounds?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
When it comes to batteries, it’s a your mileage may vary thing. Weight, water and wind speed, use, etc. are all factors. I know I can get 2 days out of my 2 60AH batteries but I do not troll although I do cover a bunch of water.

If I were building your boat, I would probably buy a 60AH and if it were not enough after water testing, add another 60 in parallel.

Don

I found this for $312, 100 amp. Will it last two days with lite use?

Attachments

• $312:100amp.jpg
    $312:100amp.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 2