New 14' Skiff

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
That is an AGM. The Duracells are often talked about on fishing sites as being a really good battery for the price.

If you’re going to go acid, I would recommend a 100ah AGM. That is what I used on my old Jon boat and we could get a long day out of it without issue.

Don

I am Twix and Tween on this as I can get lead acid for $60 for 50amp storage battery. I'm just tired of the weight.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I am Twix and Tween on this as I can get lead acid for $60 for 50amp storage battery. I'm just tired of the weight.
I hear ya there. I didn’t have any issues with lead acid on my last boat other than electronics really draining the small size 24 house battery. I ended up adding a separate battery for the electronics and that worked well. When switching to the new boat, it was in the budget so to speak so I went for it.

Solitario Lupo

Let me tell you guys a little story about me a 12’ boat and a trolling motor out on the bay, salt water. So going with the current I went fine and a couple miles out. Coming back the trolling motor wasn’t strong enough to fight the current so the paddles went over. Let’s just say I’ll never be going into anybody of saltwater with a trolling motor. Should’ve got out and just walked the dang thing back.

Don

I hear ya. On fresh water my normal approach is to Motor upwind or up current. Then if I loose power the wind will drive me home. But the ocean is much more nuanced with the wind and tide affecting your progress.

truecrimson

Let me tell you guys a little story about me a 12’ boat and a trolling motor out on the bay, salt water. So going with the current I went fine and a couple miles out. Coming back the trolling motor wasn’t strong enough to fight the current so the paddles went over. Let’s just say I’ll never be going into anybody of saltwater with a trolling motor. Should’ve got out and just walked the dang thing back.

Melvinp

Thanks a lot crimson now it’s going to bouncing around in my Mellon all day. Ran my cushions aluminum bass boat out of gas in the middle of the St Lawarance sea way in not great weather was lucky enough that a fellow boater saw we were in trouble and guided us back to a safe harbor very happy to get help but petrified that our aluminum bass boat would scratch his beautiful mahogany cigar boat.Trolling motor was worthless in a strong wind even with good batteries.won’t ever run out of gas again

Reactions: Don

Don

I find it dis-appointing that a transom mount motor is not available with remote drive. Does Digital controls essentially mean rheostatic or variable speed and non-digital still has the 5 speeds?
I'm sort of tallish, not a giant but tall. If the height of the transom determines that I need a certain length motor shaft would it hurt anything if I got the next length longer? I could use the stop on the shaft to lower the motor partially down into the water the proper amount and yet it would leave the control at a higher level for me to more comfortably reach.

pabassman

As usual I'm not really sure what your end game is here. Lots of good info shared especially by TS. Seeing what you hope to do I agree with Melvin about having both trolling motors. The transom mount is for getting you from point A to point B. Its other use is for trolling. Thats about it. They arent very good for positioning the boat. Thats where the bow mount comes in. ( TS quote) Due to your fishing style, it screams transom mount to me. When I think of Bow mount, I think precision control so an angler can pound banks or structure hands free. If you are going to attempt the trolling quest and continue to chase panfish, pickerel, bass then having both will serve you well. As far as size goes I believe in Overkill is Underrated. If the wind kicks up, a storm is headed your way, you will wish you had ten times the power you have. You will never regret having more power. You says the boat is about 500 pounds. Thats heavy for a 14' vs an aluminum boat. Batteries are next. You will need at least two. Three would be better. Price is an issue but lithium really is the way to go. Longer life span, more efficient and much lighter. How will you charge the batteries? Onboard charger? Lead batteries need to be charged after every use. Best to plug them is as soon as you get home. Battery care and maintenance are critical to their performance and life span. Several guys I know are running Lithium and getting at least two trips between charges. Thats impressive considering how much time we spend on the trolling motor. Graphs do eat up a lot of power and sometimes when connected to a battery with other things running you may get interference. Good luck with the endeavor.

A-5

Don. You can transfer any trolling motor to do what you want. Take it apart and turn the head to do what you want. It’s just time consuming not hard

Reactions: Don

Don

I don't know what I'm talking about. I rarely know what you guys are talking about. So rather than putting the cart before the horse I'll finish the boat. In the bow I'll include a modest deck just big enough to mount a trolling motor. In the meantime I'll learn more about these accessories in the meantime.
PA confirms everyones suggestions that I should have both front and back motor. PA has the most credibility in that he posts pictures of the highest numbers of the biggest fish of the types I want to catch. He has credibility. I also need to be careful as my pockets aren't all that deep.

Don

So this does not make you shy away from this brand? It amazing how effective it was in turning me off. Grin and bear it I guess.

A-5

Min kota is rated top. I mean who else? Trolling motors break. It’s what they do. People mostly abuse them. They get wrapped up in salad and they keep it on burning the thing up. They hit stumps and the brackets break. No way around it. It’s just is what it is.

Last edited:

truecrimson

I find with other things a lot of critical reviews are nonsense. Things like shipping problems, or a product arrives broken or missing parts. After that is improper use and poor maintenance like A-5 mentioned. Sometimes reviews are for an entirely different product. I always read some of the best reviews, some of the worst reviews, and some in the middle to try and get a feel for what is really going on.