Plastic Baits & Techniques to use them

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I view jig heads as a convenient hook / weight combo. You’re always going to need a hook for whatever plastic you use. Now how do you weight it? Sometimes the weight is better above the hook and sometimes before the hook.

Just wait until you start getting bites on jigs and can’t hook them. ;). Remember to always reel down your slack and then hook, you have to make the weight pass their lips and get the hook to stick em.

Reactions: Don

Don

Isn't that pretty standard with any method? Doen't the fish suck it in and you give it a yank like any other bait?

Reactions: A-5

A-5

I throw small arsenal over and over and over.

Jig
Drop shot
Top water
Worm
Ned
Senko
Spinbait
Flukes/paddle tails

Don

He explains his position well but there is the fact that I catch plenty of bass on light tackle and if I jerked on it like he does I'd break the line. so why is it different? size of the bait? don't they just engulf it.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
He explains his position well but there is the fact that I catch plenty of bass on light tackle and if I jerked on it like he does I'd break the line. so why is it different? size of the bait? don't they just engulf it.
You wouldn’t need to be as aggressive on light tackle because you don’t have a big hunk of lead in the way like a football jig has.

Don

Also the guy keeps saying that you pull the hook into the fishes mouth. Seems backwards. Don't the fish usually eat the offering from behind? The author keeps using his hand to illustrate that the fish has taken the lure head-on. So I was confused. I'll certainly be taking his advice though.
I went to Tactical Bass'in to see what they had to say but it seems the are more for Texas rig and drop shot style punching and flipping. The jigs will be enough for me to learn. They're a nice compact learners permit.
Are there times that you prefer Texas rigged baits at Blue Marsh?

Last edited:

Don

That seemed to be their point. They only used Jigheads in open water.
I guess the point is that the hook points are hidden when fishing drop shot or Texas rigs.
Couldnt you place the baits onto the jigs hooked in weedless fashion.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
That seemed to be their point. They only used Jigheads in open water.
I guess the point is that the hook points are hidden when fishing drop shot or Texas rigs.
Couldnt you place the baits onto the jigs hooked in weedless fashion.
You can. Think of a swing head or even a ned head but the original point was football jigs or jigs of large size where you have to get that hunk of lead pass their lips quickly so that they don’t totally just release.

Don

Swing head is what I was thinking. With some of the smaller bait it may work nicely.

Don

For all you that use Kieteck Products....I don't know if it is luck or if it is seasonal....I've had slow results catching anything on the ribbed versions of their minnows(i.e below). Only the smooth minnows have produced. From 1.5" up to 4" I've done especially well with their smooth minnows on all species except trout. Is this normal? 81X0Ilufx-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
For all you that use Kieteck Products....I don't know if it is luck or if it is seasonal....I've had slow results catching anything on the ribbed versions of their minnows(i.e below). Only the smooth minnows have produced. From 1.5" up to 4" I've done especially well with their smooth minnows on all species except trout. Is this normal? View attachment 3419
Nothing is normal in fishing. One day they like this, the next, they like that and then some days they don’t like anything at all. ;)

I view it this way for ribbed vs smooth (keep it PG boys!) the ribbed displaces more water than smooth. If they’re feeding and you throw something very natural in front of them like a smooth and they don’t bite then they need something to trigger them, either a cadence or something that displaces more water like the ribbed.

Don

I was wondering if it was the type of baitfish that the minnow emulated. I saw millions upon millions of minnows in a corner of the lake and probably a half acre of the lake was swirling. Couldn’t tell eat they were.
I really like the action of their products. I hope to try more of their colors and also including their other baits.

Solitario Lupo

You also are using different sizes. That can make it all the difference. Plus how are you fishing them. Try something different in your technique.

Don

I am stripping pausing stripping pausing. Similar to fly fishing a clouser.
Maybe I should let it set longer.