What did you Catch Today?

HenryDavid

Epic evening Tuesday with Susquehanna smallmouth. I hadn't been able to fish for about 3 weeks but made up for it at a spot I hadn't tried in a couple of years. The bass were on fire, at least 20+ on a simple jig and twister tail, mostly good sized bass with the biggest nearly 17-inches, along with a bonus 20+ inch channel cat. There was a decent hatch, looked like sulphurs and after dark the bass went on a feeding frenzy. Tough spot to fly fish and I struck out with my sulphur imitations on the fly rod, but managed to land one on a top water popper. No pics, lol, left the camera in the car. About 10:15pm it was over. Had mosquitos on me the entire time, no bug spray. I have to sort out my vest better so I have camera, ect.

Don

Epic evening Tuesday with Susquehanna smallmouth. I hadn't been able to fish for about 3 weeks but made up for it at a spot I hadn't tried in a couple of years. The bass were on fire, at least 20+ on a simple jig and twister tail, mostly good sized bass with the biggest nearly 17-inches, along with a bonus 20+ inch channel cat. There was a decent hatch, looked like sulphurs and after dark the bass went on a feeding frenzy. Tough spot to fly fish and I struck out with my sulphur imitations on the fly rod, but managed to land one on a top water popper. No pics, lol, left the camera in the car. About 10:15pm it was over. Had mosquitos on me the entire time, no bug spray. I have to sort out my vest better so I have camera, ect.
Sounds fun, storybook. We’re they all smallies?

Blackcat Outdoors

What did I catch today?

Only good company and excellent conversation.

But BlackCat did catch a nice largemouth that threw the hook right at shore. But he had a witness, and I snapped this pic before it swam awayView attachment 5383
Notes for next time we go out:

1. I need to remember the net.
2. I need to remember bigger hooks probably should have been using 4/0 not 2/0
3. Don't trust weather and just leave my damn kyack on the car.

Great time meeting and fishing with you man. Hopefully we'll find a more productive spot next time.

Don

Great time meeting and fishing with you man. Hopefully we'll find a more productive spot next time.
I still say it looks like a pickerel., lol.

truecrimson

I had a net in the trunk. I just didn't think we'd need it from the bank.

Size doesn't matter. Or so I have been told ;)

That's why I brought mine despite the forecast.

Great meeting and fishing with you too. Next time we will use the yaks and launch in Danville.

Don

Well good then. It was your turn to watch the Kid and it looks like you came through. When he's with me I let him catch the little bass...keeps him on track.

Don

I caught a unique LMB yesterday and I decided it was too old to eat and I returned it before I remembered to take its photo. It was unique in that the head was enormous but the body was only average.Shaped more like a chunky male Channel. Is it possible that this guy just came off spawning? In general the Bass and Pickerel were quite happy yesterday. I kept forgetting how much LMB jump and shake loose. I only landed one of the LmB.
It was also interesting to see that the Sunfish, Perch and Crappy are scattered now for summer leaving more room for the Big Guns to bite my little Beetle Spins. All the larger fish (size wise) were taken on 3" Kieteck Shiners, even the larger or the Bluegill and Crappy. In general there was little interest in the worms that I brought.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I caught a unique LMB yesterday and I decided it was too old to eat and I returned it before I remembered to take its photo. It was unique in that the head was enormous but the body was only average.Shaped more like a chunky male Channel. Is it possible that this guy just came off spawning? In general the Bass and Pickerel were quite happy yesterday. I kept forgetting how much LMB jump and shake loose. I only landed one of the LmB.
It was also interesting to see that the Sunfish, Perch and Crappy are scattered now for summer leaving more room for the Big Guns to bite my little Beetle Spins. All the larger fish (size wise) were taken on 3" Kieteck Shiners, even the larger or the Bluegill and Crappy. In general there was little interest in the worms that I brought.
Sounds like an older fish to me. I know with trout, if you find a pattern like that, usually on a freestone stream, it means they’re emaciated due to lack of food which is usually caused by lack of flow year over year.