What did you Catch Today?

Don

TC I didn’t know that the Swattie was floatable. Pretty nice. And still I’ve not gone to Memorial lake.

MB3

I waded a small local stream this AM. I expected the usual few fish and ended with 30+. I ended up with 15+ Smallies, 10 Brookies, 1 Rainbow, 3 Perch, 1 Large Mouth and a Fall fish. Missed a few other trout too. I have never caught that many trout in August. One was so small it must have hatched, no way they stocked them that small.

The Brookies were all solid, biggest was 12-13". The Rainbow was decent too. Everything else was small but fun on a 7ft ultra light and 4 lb test. Color of the day was hot orange in 1/32. I needed a day like that!

Attachments

• PXL_20210801_141458406.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210801_141458406.MP.jpg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20210801_140330844.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210801_140330844.MP.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210801_131341297.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210801_131341297.MP.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20210801_124431746.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210801_124431746.MP.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20210801_122908720.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210801_122908720.MP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20210801_122723793.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210801_122723793.MP.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4

truecrimson

TC I didn’t know that the Swattie was floatable. Pretty nice. And still I’ve not gone to Memorial lake.
Oh it's very floatable, from at least Suedberg all the way down to 3 mile island where the 3 headed fish are. Check the gauges before you go. I had to do a bit of kay-hiking yesterday.

If you need shuttle service try Cocoa Kayaks Cocoa Kayak Rentals of Hershey
They have scheduled trips from Waterworks at Ono to Harper's Tavern, Harper's Tavern to their own property, their property to Boathouse Park, and Union Deposit to Schiavoni Park in Hummelstown. They periodically have one from Schiavoni Park to Fulling Mill Road, but it's not always on their roster.

They rent kayaks, shuttle if you have your own, and they might shuttle a canoe, but I don't know about drift boats if that's what you were thinking of. If you want to float a section of it sometime let me know and maybe we can get together. And let me know if you want some company for Memorial. I have not been there in a while. I fell in love with the Swattie and no other body of water can hold my attention.

As a general rule I take about double the time listed for their trips.

Don

I don't kayak but Memorial sounds good for when it cools a bit. We can talk in September and meet there. I want their pickerel.

Gremcat

Sure you weren’t on the Lehigh? We had a mated pair swoop by a week or so back.

A pair of hawks are carrying on in the yard calling all day. Sound whimpy honestly and wife is distraught the one eared squirrel she’s hand fed 3 years is MIA. I didn’t point out she had me pour a few 50 lbs bags of sweet feed in the tree line and I see the squirrels there all day. I have enjoyed the turkeys freaking out calling all hours of the day. I gave her the slate call and really enjoyed her trying to carry on a dialogue with a hen. Both pretty cackley if you ask me. Must’ve educated the hen because she stopped answering my call soon after. Leave it to my bride to scare off other females, lol.

Gremcat

Few 13-14” rainbow on the reservoir side of FEW. Saw something on surface out a ways all afternoon but couldn’t tell what. Looked like fins so maybe carp. Out from the boat launch.

Saw two 24” fish on the surface that looked a lot like rainbow. Got me to thinking, I don’t see/hear much about FEW. If it’s 1300’ deep you’d think it would be a Haven of monster fish and ideal water for Lakers, Striper, and Walleye but none listed as fish in the reservoir. Tonight was my first time fishing the reservoir side. Whatever was near the launch off the cold spring feeder was pretty long and after seeing a few snakes I originally assumed more snakes. Two fish on the surface almost spawning behavior. No clue, long and trout shaped or Id say some type of carp.

Gremcat

I have to try and freeze the frame on videos of fish spawning at Weissport canal too this spring. I can’t recall the color patterns but wild colors I recall and sucker like mouths. Forgot until I found a video on my phone looking for something else.

Don

Why are you squeezing the daylights out of my little buddy. I may have asked him to dinner.

truecrimson

Well Don I tried to get you a pickerel Monday night at Memorial but no luck. They would follow soft plastics to the yak but never bite. In fact nothing was biting but I did manage one small LM. Can't complain about 3 hours on the water even with only 1 fish. Tuesday I started a 2 week run between my 2 jobs so I won't be able to fish again until next weekeend.
20210802_172230.jpg

truecrimson

Yeah you can catch almost anything in the Swattie. There are muskie and tiger muskie but they don't usually get as high up as the state park. They're mostly down by Hummelstown and below. I have caught pretty big chain pickerel in the Bear Hole trailhead area which is in the state park.

Don

Well Don I tried to get you a pickerel Monday night at Memorial but no luck. They would follow soft plastics to the yak but never bite. In fact nothing was biting but I did manage one small LM. Can't complain about 3 hours on the water even with only 1 fish. Tuesday I started a 2 week run between my 2 jobs so I won't be able to fish again until next weekeend.
View attachment 1351
Yes what youre seeing here is much more highly evolved behavior in the evolutionary chain. Pickerel being much closer to the Human species than Bass have long since realized that plastic worms are less nutritious and cause digestive issues. Thanks for trying.

On the Park site they don't mention Pickerel in the lake but I've heard there are nice ones in there.

Melvinp

Rubin pizza and smallmouth on the crank for lunch today went 1 for 3 had 2 jumpers that spit the crank their only a fish tail

Attachments

• E3D2DFFC-F994-420E-BC1F-FC46CB87759F.jpeg
    E3D2DFFC-F994-420E-BC1F-FC46CB87759F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

MB3

Here's another one for Don. Hit Belmont and did good with the usual pickerel, bass, blue gill and perch. All on the small side but none smaller than this one. Over achiever.

Attachments

• PXL_20210807_123524604.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210807_123524604.MP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Solitario Lupo

View attachment 1351
If they are anything like those bigger guys try a couple figure 8s or do some big circles right next to the yak might get them to hit.

Reactions: Don