What did you Catch Today?

Solitario Lupo

Here's another one for Don. Hit Belmont and did good with the usual pickerel, bass, blue gill and perch. All on the small side but none smaller than this one. Over achiever.
Good to see them that size. Should be a good healthy population.

Reactions: Don

Don

Here's another one for Don. Hit Belmont and did good with the usual pickerel, bass, blue gill and perch. All on the small side but none smaller than this one. Over achiever.
You're making it tough on my reputation. Brutal......

Tell me about Belmont as it was recommended to me as a do-all catch-all lake. Much boat traffic? Easy access?
last year I had been going to Upper Woods and although I caught plenty of stocked trout, the Gills were dinky, they don't have Pickerel and the big bass I've seen written about there illuded me.

MB3

Belmont is a nice lake honestly. Easy boat launch, set in farmlands. It has rocky shores in some areas and weedy in other. The back of the lake is shallower and loaded with perch. It has Smallies, largemouth, Bluegills, rock bass, pickerel, perch. Supposedly walleye but I have yet to catch one. I caught a 25" Pickerel there once but everything else has been small honestly. I went there because everywhere else is weedy this place wasn't.

Just be careful, in the Fall they drop the water level which means you'll drop your trailer off the concrete launch. We had a way difficult time getting the boat back out. Right now the level is fine. Definitely worth a try.

Don

I'm an ex-sailboater, that's right the big guy in your way. I always tried to avoid the concrete part of the ramp when practical. With a 25' 4000lb sail boat being pulled by the family Caprice Wagon (in those days) you alway put the trailer under the boat rather than driving the boat onto the trailer. Often I would be inches from the winch when I planned it right.
Do you think the lower level helps the fishing at all or does it push fish uncomfortably off their game?
Are there a large amount of Newyorsians there in summer? I like the area.

HenryDavid

I had a pretty good evening on the Susquehanna North Branch. Caught about 15 smallies, 5 or 6 chunky 12-15 inchers along with some smaller ones, action was really good for a couple of hours. White flies showed up but not in any numbers but I saw a few risers and got lucky with my 1st dry fly smallie of the season, a nice chunky 14-incher. Now I have to practice with the camera.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy

Don

Great report TS and HD.

Went to Gouldsboro on Sunday and enjoyed Gills and a 14" pickerel.

Also, I've been using 17lb braid as a bite tippet and I found out the hard way that a double surgeons knot was not appropriate for this. Tripple surgeons seemed to work but I may switch to Blood knot. When I say I learned "the hard" way I mean I hooked something that was heavy enough to turn my little boat around. I never saw it but it was heavy. Then My dbl surgeons knot let go. So somewhere out there is a large fishy with a #2/0 hook, red beads and white plumage. I want that fly back.

Don

That'll work. Do you use it? It is very similar to blood knot.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Alberto. Super strong and goes through the guides nicely. The only better one I know of is the FG knot and it’s not easy to tie while on the water. Alberto gets pretty easy after you do it a while.

FAA05FD9-1C2C-4D0E-BDB4-FC0F33A2A504.jpeg

Don

Tied with 10lb trilene vs 12 big game. One is surgeons knot with 6 wraps and the other is the Alberto. Which is which?

Btw. I could tie either of these with comfort but I tie the Surgeon with my eyes closed.
Forget the FG. Too complex.

Attachments

• 1581A186-2BF4-45E0-9390-AF04221B932E.jpeg
    1581A186-2BF4-45E0-9390-AF04221B932E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 33669061-E32D-4DAA-BA37-2689D3509D17.jpeg
    33669061-E32D-4DAA-BA37-2689D3509D17.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Gremcat

Must’ve been something hatching that drifted in the current. I watched dorsal and tail fins for hours emerging on the surface in a deep medium flow channel. Never witnessed porpoising with trout before. Water temp came up by mid morning and last reading was over 70. They stopped when sun came out of clouds. Maybe making up for the last few weeks of dry heat and hot water temps.