What did you Catch Today?

Don

It was slow and steady moving down and away. no fighting back and forth. That was at FEW on the wall.

At Gouldsboro the same thing happened but the water isn't but 5-6' deep. It just moved away, no fight. There are two gigantic turtles in this lake that I have seen and I've often seen one surface near hear. I think that is what it was. These two have heads that are 4 or more inches wide. They're so old, large and scaly that they appear like the alligator snappers of the southern swamps. Tip of tail to head over 3' I believe.

pabassman

Then there are the 40' drawdowns and refills.

I think there are absolutely giants in there.

Last summer I had a fish just take my line and just swam away with it. I never turned him. Line broke at about 100 feet distant and maybe 20 or thirty feet deep. What was that? I figured it was a big cat or a snapper but I'll never know. Happened at Gouldsboro as well and I bet it was a snapper there as they have monster snappers there.
70 feet is the drop from the summer pool too winter pool. Lake is up 12 feet as of 2pm so thats out for the weekend. I guess the perch and calico dont mind the level swings. Guy I know was telling me he got calico 55 feet down in 103 feet of water.

Don

Depending on where youre at I would think that the pool is very deeply oxygenated most of the year. I've heard mega-Brown-trout stories but you know how that goes..... This is your new Paupack, eh?

Reactions: A-5

pabassman

Depending on where youre at I would think that the pool is very deeply oxygenated most of the year. I've heard mega-Brown-trout stories but you know how that goes..... This is your new Paupack, eh?
Not even close lol. FEW is a panfish lake for me. If I add a smaller boat I might try it for bass too. The Pack is for big boys.

HenryDavid

It was slow and steady moving down and away. no fighting back and forth. That was at FEW on the wall.

At Gouldsboro the same thing happened but the water isn't but 5-6' deep. It just moved away, no fight. There are two gigantic turtles in this lake that I have seen and I've often seen one surface near hear. I think that is what it was. These two have heads that are 4 or more inches wide. They're so old, large and scaly that they appear like the alligator snappers of the southern swamps. Tip of tail to head over 3' I believe.
I had something similar happen, dry fly fishing the Susquehanna during a white fly hatch. I thought I might've had a big channel cat but it wouldn't budge, just a slow steady pull, like a log, but it was headed directly across to the opposite side of the river. 8 wt fly rod but nothing I did could slow it down. I finally decided to just pull line like hell so I didn't loose all my fly line and somehow the fly came loose, my guess was giant carp.

Solitario Lupo

HD was there head shakes or not. Sometimes carp will give a couple small one. Turtles and cats don’t. Always fun guessing on what it could have been. Sure is a good story to tell how the big one got away haha.

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

I had something similar happen, dry fly fishing the Susquehanna during a white fly hatch. I thought I might've had a big channel cat but it wouldn't budge, just a slow steady pull, like a log, but it was headed directly across to the opposite side of the river. 8 wt fly rod but nothing I did could slow it down. I finally decided to just pull line like hell so I didn't loose all my fly line and somehow the fly came loose, my guess was giant carp.
Time for a 12wt lol

Don

My cousin had that happen at the inflatable dam on the Susquehanna. He thought Muskie at the time as it was before flathead. This is why I miss the old time barber shops. Great inflatable stories here.

Gremcat

Had it happen in Lehigh on my trout rod. Just refused to budge and I thought snag. Then it swam about 6’ and held again. Broke off but next cast I landed a smallish cat.

I thought FEW would have Walleye being so deep. Surprised it doesn’t hold other trophy fish. Alewives not being there might explain it. Or fluctuations when drawn down.

Reactions: Don

pabassman

I thought FEW would have Walleye being so deep. Surprised it doesn’t hold other trophy fish. Alewives not being there might explain it. Or fluctuations when drawn down.
I've heard of walleye there a long time ago then they seemed to vanish for 20 - 30 years. Regulars told me they got a good number of smaller ones last year. There a giant smallmouth there, reports of big browns that come down from the Lehigh. Being deep isnt really a requirement for walleyes. Lower Woods and White Oak both had decent walleye populations from steady fingerling stockings before they were drawn down. 12 feet was as deep as those places got. Alewives arent there but from what I've saw they arent needed. There are strange, unique forces at work there.

Don

It is an amazing little lake. Seems hard to judge where you’re at. I also get the impression it is underfished.

HenryDavid

HD was there head shakes or not. Sometimes carp will give a couple small one. Turtles and cats don’t. Always fun guessing on what it could have been. Sure is a good story to tell how the big one got away haha.
No head shakes, thought it was a large piece of debris or log at first but they would float down with the current, and it was dark so that didn't help.

Gremcat

I've heard of walleye there a long time ago then they seemed to vanish for 20 - 30 years. Regulars told me they got a good number of smaller ones last year. There a giant smallmouth there, reports of big browns that come down from the Lehigh. Being deep isnt really a requirement for walleyes. Lower Woods and White Oak both had decent walleye populations from steady fingerling stockings before they were drawn down. 12 feet was as deep as those places got. Alewives arent there but from what I've saw they arent needed. There are strange, unique forces at work there.
Seems lakers would be at home there too. I’ve seen huge trout but not deep. Hanging by feeder springs in warm temps. Caught 18” range but saw a few big shadows. Only tried once, I’m usually drawn to the Lehigh below when there.

I’ve tried finding the reported Beltzville browns too but access above lake is locked up mostly. The one point I could access I caught a beautiful maroon rainbow but no browns. I know a guy that gets huge trout and even Striper but he’s been hanging around the area 7 decades and knows many landowners I bet. With a boat trolling I read the article on the guy catching them but it was 1-3 days per catch.