What did you Catch Today?

Don

Okay I got it now. So using more leader certainly won't hurt. you mean $10 for 30M no 30mm. Red Seguar is junk and Blue is King.

What does STS 6lb Junk mean?

HenryDavid

Happy as I was to see the creek drop and clear some just hours after flooding stopped it was gin clear today. It doesn’t hold water well with wide eroded banks, smooth slate, and straight run to Lehigh without many bends or narrowing.
Unfortunately that's the case with many of our Pennsylvania streams.

Don

"Means this is junk".
I see, Ukrainian Acronyms for bad Seguar.

So is there a difference btwn Line and leader? Could I just use Floro 6lb or 8lb line as a leader? Is leader thicker than line for the same test?

A-5

Leader line is generally more supple and smaller diameter. For bass and bluegill. Regular fluro will be fine

A-5

Reactions: Don

Don

Well thanks. I've had the Blue in my hand several times this year, time to buy I guess.
Thanks for doing the field work;)

Melvinp

Um. Their bigger line I have used with no problem but their 6lb is horrible
I really had good luck with red in 4 doesn’t seem to matter what brand or what type but all mono or floro will go bad or get bad batches witch could be miles long and fill a lot of spool’s

Gremcat

Well thanks. I've had the Blue in my hand several times this year, time to buy I guess.
Thanks for doing the field work;)
I run blue if I’m slumming, Gold if available. I used STS in 4lbs for my first 2 steelhead and 6 lbs for my first 3 kings including a 45” male and 2 20 lbs hens. I ran it behind 12 lbs big game and no issues though after 3 salmon that size on one leader the next fish, a massive tail waking coho walked away from me before either breaking or throwing hook. I don’t recall which. I’ve had 10lbs+ fish break 4lbs. never 6lbs. (Just jinxed it). The few that broke 4 lbs were likely do to my novice ability tying knots then. I was just learning a Palomar and the importance of lubing leader first.

Gremcat

Honestly, only reason I found Blue was due to smaller spool size fitting my pack. Gold was a “more expensive must be better” situation. 6 lbs I’ll wrap my forearm to break snags and if I don’t lean in it still won’t break the first or third try. Still have the tensile tester and software if anyone ever wants to compare various fishing lines. I don’t trust myself to knot them all the same.

Don

Ok. It comes highly rated. Remind me again….why not 8 or 10 lb? Is it too visible or does it limit the action of the lure?

Gremcat

Pure tensile would be easy to test but I’d want a decent sample set. Knot strength I could build a hook jig to sped up testing but that would lead to which knot, how it seated, etc. I’d want 10 to have a decent statistical sample. Who wants to volunteer to tie 2-300 knots so I can test 20-30 lines with one knot or 5 with the most common varieties? Then we’d get into hook wire type, eyelet style, etc. way too many holes in the boat to plug them then.

Gremcat

Ok. It comes highly rated. Remind me again….why not 8 or 10 lb? Is it too visible or does it limit the action of the lure?
For those 10” bass you chase and pickerel that trout minnows would eat it won’t matter. I recall spincast like you prefer do best with 6-8 lbs. I think in Seaguar Leader your comparable to 4lbs mono thickness at 8-10 lbs if not higher. Starts to be more visible and diminishing returns but the guy I know that catches 5-600 steelhead each spring runs 8 + 10 so he told me.

Gremcat

More important lives in Pulaski and girlfriend fishes too. He travels steelhead alley under STLHD brand so not the average local but still access in minutes might help a bit.

Gremcat

Some do, I taper down from 10 lbs gold to 4 or 6 depending on turbidity. I’ll go heavier if I can. If I could get by with 10 lbs I’d hedge on that side. I run 4 lbs mainline for casting distance so at some point it doesn’t matter how heavy the leader is.