Jigs and Jigheads

Don

I was impressed. Uncle handed me a small, probably size 8 or so, hand-tied Bucktail jighead. Panfish size I guess. I snagged and lost mine right away but he went on to catch several nice 14-16" sized trout on his jig. We were jigging in open water, in the middle of a large Pocono Puddle at the time, so it surprised me that we caught anything...I was impressed.

Not a trout guy normally, and wanting to try this on Bass, Panfish, Hybrids and Channels:

-I humbly ask what size is a good all purpose size or two to use as I learn to tie these myself. I'm thinking 1/32 and 1/8th or 1/16 and 1/4. Would that cover it?

-What colors are best for summer?
Purple and orange look good...what are your preferences (and there is also bright daylight and/or cloudy/nighttime preferences).

-Is the conventional ballhead still the best compromise or are some of the newer style heads better?

-For the murky waters I fish is the natural color of bucktail still the best?

-What size hooks are best?

A number of you encouraged me to stick it out with plastics when I wanted to chuck them all. The Plastics I use most are Kieteck Shiners and yum/yamamoto worms and I often tip my beloved Beetle Spins with them. So in the case of Bucktail jigs I may also tip them with appropriate sizes of these plastics.
102922_source_1667163471.jpg60927_source_1667163467.jpg61to9QfG2HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg65f55419-150c-4a8f-a8ca-8432ee3c035c.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

A-5

No. Black white olive. Purple I would do the inlay with. Like a purple haze material to tie into the black and white

A-5

I dip my heads. But I started using oil based paint sticks. Works well. Easy touch up. Paint white first then apply whatever color. Black you can just paint black.

Reactions: Don

Don

I bought 25 1/8 oz pink jigs. I’m painting some black. Do I even want any pink.

Don

Melvin!!!
So 1/8 will be heavy enough to fish in still water 25’ deep as long as it doesn’t have too much feather or other junk tied to it. I just read to keep hair and/or feathers thin.

Don

I don't get it. I keep hearing how Jigs are the thing. Nothing unless tipped with worm. So why use the jig at all? I did catch more on the tipped 1/64th size.

Solitario Lupo

I don't get it. I keep hearing how Jigs are the thing. Nothing unless tipped with worm. So why use the jig at all? I did catch more on the tipped 1/64th size.
I don’t tip mine with live bait. I use them for weight and keep the hook point riding up.