Jigs and Jigheads

Melvinp

Melvin!!!
So 1/8 will be heavy enough to fish in still water 25’ deep as long as it doesn’t have too much feather or other junk tied to it. I just read to keep hair and/or feathers thin.
Umm only if there is no wind and no waves.20 feet of water I would be looking more towards 1/4 to 3/8 the main problem is that a 1/4 to 3/8 jig head normally have a #2 or bigger hook which makes them a little to big for all but the biggest bluegills.If you make your own jigs a lot of times you can fit one size smaller than recommended hooks in the molds but not always.

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

I don't get it. I keep hearing how Jigs are the thing. Nothing unless tipped with worm. So why use the jig at all? I did catch more on the tipped 1/64th size.
It all depends on what the fish want that day and what type of fish they are.I normally I tip jigs if I’m fishing for gills,trout,perch and walleyes but not for callico or bass.

Don

Elaborate please. Do you ever use attractants? I think using a jighead helps keep them from swallowing the hooks so much. I saw 1/16th and 1/8th oz for crappy. 1/64th for Gills.

Melvinp

A little buck tail info this might take a few days lol starting with different kinds of hair deer body hair and tail hair.pink is tail and grey is body. Body hair is usually hollow and will flare a lot compared to tail that is solid.

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpeg
    IMG_2717.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2719.jpeg
    IMG_2719.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2718.jpeg
    IMG_2718.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

Melvinp

Another bucktail lesson the differences in tail pink is very straight and smooth (I like this type personally)green is not so nice the crinkly fibers make it harder to stack but it will give you a wider presentation

Attachments

• IMG_2722.jpeg
    IMG_2722.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2721.jpeg
    IMG_2721.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2721.jpeg
    IMG_2721.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

Don

I have the whole hide. So flank, thigh, rump, back and tail. Excuse me for not owning Pink tails….I’m not like that. I have olive, yellow, white and red. But for the little 1/64 and 1/32 jigs I’m making I want them to sink and like sol I prefer Squirrel in those sizes. I never notice the difference in straightness in different tails, Cool.
Keep going I’m learning!

Melvinp

The fuzz each tail is different some have the fuzzy’s some don’t (some are really bad)if you look closely the really prime pink tail has really no fuzz(or tiny hair) in it the green has some but really not bad but you can see it.It has to go it never really seems to do any good for me anyway.pick,blow shake it up and down but get it out of the lmelbo.it will generally be at the base of the hair.

Attachments

• IMG_2723.jpeg
    IMG_2723.jpeg
    571.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2724.jpeg
    IMG_2724.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 0

Don

Roger that, next!

I comb out or tussle it out to clean. I don't really like to stack hair as it looks to goofy. On the size we're talking (1/32 and 1/64th) you have to stack or it won't fit on the jig....

next...

Don

So how did they make them?

Keep going Teach some more!

I'm guilty of being trying to be cute when I tie fly's. It is usually the ugliest and plainest that work the best.

Last edited:

Don

With all of that shouldn’t need to be tipped.
I don't think you realize how primitive my skills are. I have allot of Deer and a little squirrel. I have some chenille and similar stuff. trying to save my Marabou for now. I also have some mallard that may work well in the smaller sizes.

"Brown has hackle wrapped around it" looks very ready for fish.

Gotta see what the Porch produces.

Melvinp

Here ya go don the infamous drunken hair jig nothing but deer hair and a jig head I’ll post a pink one just so you get a look at the difference in hairstyles.Throw it out behind the boat turn on the trolling motor and just drag it slowly behind in your favorite crappy waters

Attachments

• IMG_2737.jpeg
    IMG_2737.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Don

Don

Here ya go don the infamous drunken hair jig nothing but deer hair and a jig head I’ll post a pink one just so you get a look at the difference in hairstyles.Throw it out behind the boat turn on the trolling motor and just drag it slowly behind in your favorite crappy waters
you'll never get Z to do that!
The crinkles are nice.
I tied the one below with Calf and olive dubbing on a 1/8 ounce jig. At the last minute I decided to Palmer a brown feather...overkill