Trout Derby 2021

Gremcat

I took no pics of the trout today. Thought I let some of you catch up.
Appreciate you being merciful and letting me post a few before your usual 23-25” monster completely deflates me. I’ve had a single day with 5 fish over 20” but it’s way too early so must be a red herring. You’ll casually drop a few 28-32”ers effortlessly, I can already see it. Lol. I’m gonna bribe Someone to unspool your reel and slice your line every 10’ or so lol

Gremcat

I'm just saying, how do you know when you should cast or not cast. Knowing your lines performance at different temps I think you need to take your tech one step further and add an anemometer. Shouldn't cost much. you could fly to NC to get it on sale, lol.

Lastly, and automatic Fish Stringer. You shouldn't have to waste time stopping to put fish onto the stringer. With an auto fish stringer you could just fish seamlessly and perhaps double the catch.

As for me, in the wind lately, I've been doing the Capt'n Ahab!View attachment 337
If there’s a pocket tool to measure river flow rates I’m all over it just point. I’m fairly certain all formulas require knowing the total volume of water(length + depth), don’t really want a 100’ device so not sure there’s a tool out there for me.

I’m a bit distracted this weekend so hurry up and stock up on your tackle. I’m not a hoarder. I’m not a hoarder. I’m not a hoarder.........

MB3

Hit a secret trout spot in the rain. First cast, first fish. I caught 3 total on spinners and had a much nicer one on but got off half way home. They were all on the small side otherwise but fun.

Attachments

• PXL_20210411_140101517.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210411_140101517.MP.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210411_133840308.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210411_133840308.MP.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210411_133413768.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210411_133413768.MP.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

Gremcat

I'm just saying, how do you know when you should cast or not cast. Knowing your lines performance at different temps I think you need to take your tech one step further and add an anemometer. Shouldn't cost much. you could fly to NC to get it on sale, lol.

Lastly, and automatic Fish Stringer. You shouldn't have to waste time stopping to put fish onto the stringer. With an auto fish stringer you could just fish seamlessly and perhaps double the catch.

As for me, in the wind lately, I've been doing the Capt'n Ahab!View attachment 337
Think I’ll set this back up to test all my lines at various temps, knots. Lol. I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t one in my house. Also have the Dillon version.E6BED5A8-F9A5-4246-B2E8-597BAB0BB08C.jpeg

Don

Grem why would you have something like that around the house? Sell It and buy a drift boat, lol. I would like to have a pocket anemometer. Balloonists and Hang Glider Dudes use them.

Gremcat

Grem why would you have something like that around the house? Sell It and buy a drift boat, lol. I would like to have a pocket anemometer. Balloonists and Hang Glider Dudes use them.
I really wanted a boat but A-5 said I needed to test my knots on various lines so boat will have to wait...

Last edited:
Reactions: A-5

A-5

Palomar or improved clinch for steel.

and snell for salmon. Only knots you need to know. Blue label or cabelas ice line for steel. Viscous fluro for salmon and every else. No need for anything else just go fish and take my experience.

A-5

Um not true don. We us 6lb test to land 10-15lb steelhead. 6lb won’t cinch on the hook well. So a improved knot locks it in place. I’ve done pull test and have studied profusely. And blue label is as thin as it gets with a actual 6lb breaking point. Others are either thicker or trash.

A-5

Eyes of the hook are not thin enough for cinching. X2 hooks and thin line don’t mix.
Best way I can explain is tie 4lb on a musky hook. It will pull right off. Same theory

Gremcat

Palomar or improved clinch for steel.

and snell for salmon. Only knots you need to know. Blue label or cabelas ice line for steel. Viscous fluro for salmon and every else. No need for anything else just go fish and take my experience.
Now you tell me when I could’ve bought a boat.......... lol, I use the Tester but thinking of playing around testing lines/hooks to lock in my knot tying and play around with lines. I’m a geek