What did you Catch Today?

Don

9-15 bucks for siege for 300 yards. Big game $8 for 1500 yards. Seaguar 101 $10. 5 spools of siege cost $50. Just saying that’s more lures I can buy lol.

You can buy bulk spools of Suffix as well but still allot more than Big Game which I only use on Baitcaster. All my other gear is lightweight and I need smooth and supple line.

pabassman

No hi viz for me I don’t understand the concept. Two it’s way more visible and the main line for me is the last thing I worry about. I don’t have a real problem with the line I use. And it’s the cheapest line out there.
Me either. Using hi vis then adding a leader. Whats the purpose of hi viz? To many knots. A knot is a weaker link in the system. Thats a reason I dont often run braid. Lot of guys I know do. I only run it on one baitcaster that gets a bussbait or a frog. One spinning fod that is for dropshotting and I hate tying a leader on that

Don

I only use leader for Bass (lite 6 or 8) and pickerel(12 or 17 bite tippet). The rest, panfish and catfish don’t seem to mind the high vis.
I do see your point though. But I simply can’t see clear line well anymore.

Reactions: A-5

pabassman

I only use leader for Bass (lite 6 or 8) and pickerel(12 or 17 bite tippet). The rest, panfish and catfish don’t seem to mind the high vis.
I do see your point though. But I simply can’t see clear line well anymore.
If your visibility is the issue why not run straight braid? You can get very light braid. If your thinking the line isnt bothering panfish why not braid? It will last forever. Just turn it around every season and a reel full will last years. Catfish I agree with.

Don

If your visibility is the issue why not run straight braid? You can get very light braid. If your thinking the line isnt bothering panfish why not braid? It will last forever. Just turn it around every season and a reel full will last years. Catfish I agree with.
Im running all spincast reels from the smallest to the largest these days. They can't take braid as it saws the pickup pins off. I use Braid on one of my BaitCast Reels and like it. Not sure low vis braid is any easier to see though I currently am using the low vis green Suffix 822. Some of the new Spin Cast reels are beginning to handle braid but they are closing on $150 bucks in some cases. I rebuild the vintage.

Don

Im running all spincast reels from the smallest to the largest these days. They can't take braid as it saws the pickup pins off. I use Braid on one of my BaitCast Reels and like it. Not sure low vis braid is any easier to see though I currently am using the low vis green Suffix 822. Some of the new Spin Cast reels are beginning to handle braid but they are closing on $150 bucks in some cases. I rebuild the vintage.
The ultralight guys are running 4 lb Braid and 2 lb mono or floro leader. I'd have a tough time with that. Hat Eyes I guess.

pabassman

The ultralight guys are running 4 lb Braid and 2 lb mono or floro leader. I'd have a tough time with that. Hat Eyes I guess.
You said panfish dont seem to mind the hi vis. Thats why I mentioned the braid. It comes is several hi vis colors. If your tackle cant handle braid thats a different story.

Don

I understand as I really like braid. I may go back to spinning reel for ultralight, casting, but for right now the arthritis in my right hand is glad that it doesn’t have to hold a spinning reel.
There are now three Spincast reels on the market that are braid ready. But they’re very expensive and are not proven yet, so I’ll hold off. I thought I would like bait casters but found them a bit difficult.

pabassman

Pretty good night on the lake though a bit surprising. 1 walleye, 8 stripers, 6 bass. The amount of bass was the surprise. Got some decent size fish too. Best smallie just under 3#, best striper 10.15#

20230611_000316.jpg20230610_233044.jpg20230611_001206.jpg20230611_025641.jpgimage000000.jpgimage000000 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 20230611_033655.jpg
    20230611_033655.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230610_212850.jpg
    20230610_212850.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 2

Don

That looks tasty. Can we keep bass now and is the limit 12” instead of 15 except in bass program lakes?
I like smallish bass to fillet and freeze. I usually get two or three a year. The young ones are the tastiest.

Last edited: