What did you Catch Today?

Don

Yes. That thought of. Well I don’t want to take just one home, wouldn’t be worth cleaning. And that can jinx you on a meat run.

truecrimson

That's where a live well or that collapsible basket you and I have is useful. You can keep them alive and release them later if you don't catch anything else.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

Nice, what are you getting them on? I hit Bowmans Fly Stretch on Friday but has little luck, 2 hooked but lost both before netting them. I'm going to my spot on Harvey's Creek tomorrow hoping it's not blown out. I'm sticking with wully buggers & nymphs. Creeks needed more water.
Butter worms and 3-4” shiners the last few trips. Creek is high pressure and lots of tactics are used. The hardcore guys that run pins in 0 water run eggs or sacks, there are a ton of fly guys, there are a ton of bait and spinner guys. Not many guys fish my technique using #1 hooks and shiners. The fish almost never touch a fathead regardless of how big. One of the main entrances is by a hardware store that sells fatheads so they probably see a lot. That creek has monsters but they see a lot so changing it almost daily is the rule there. Last few trips it’s my preferred method and sneaking is required as well. Other times it reminds me of lake fishing but even one big Donaldson fight or impossibly chunky Loops is worth it. Very different methods of take and fights, neither like PGC stockies. Donaldsons are like 5lbs footballs that fight more in the air than water. Loops might porpoise are even go straight across the top of the water and have a more Brutish power. Early in Nov some of the biggest just swam to me. If they didn’t readily met though it was a slugfest and I’m still caught flat footed a lot knowing what to expect. Now that they’ve been pressured it’s always a fist fight and with 4lbs leader in high obstruction creeks with fish fighting so aggressive one misstep and their gone.

Last edited:

Gremcat

Yeah I know I know, beautiful fly setups and I’m hucking shiners. Someday I’ll get learnt on the art and black magic of casting a fly that’s not under a pin float.

Gremcat

My 7 yo princess is starting to take an interest after watching me organize the flies from SL. I showed her some pics of women casting gracefully and it’s taking hold. She first thought it was mean to trick the trout. I explained the fly isn’t real so no bait dies hoping that would win the disagreement but alas she said it’s not fair to the trout that die. I won some favor back explaining I kept some for her uncle and my coworkers elderly mom but I’m releasing all now and they can catch their own. I sealed the deal with a bedtime lullaby I made up when she was a baby. Works everytime 😉

Solitario Lupo

That's where a live well or that collapsible basket you and I have is useful. You can keep them alive and release them later if you don't catch anything else.
That’s a good idea. At least your not roping them threw the gills then releasing them. Might as well just keep them at that time just going to die later.

Gremcat

Little schuykill does have a few neat sections with sharp bends that go from no water to “Don’t drown” depth fast. I’ve not fished it since my brother first moved here and was trekking around. Tamaqua is basically where my “Dock” is too.

A-5

Lol. I told you Sunday I didn’t want to go. I went for a friend who wanted to go. In a weird way the guy was wearing TS dads boots. Lol

True story.

Gremcat

Lol. I told you Sunday I didn’t want to go. I went for a friend who wanted to go. In a weird way the guy was wearing TS dads boots. Lol

True story.
Just grieving you about it. A day on water is a good day. I hear good things about Schuykill. Been a few years since I tried it and was following directions my brother had based on his wanderings. It was a nice little creek but never got back there and no clue where we even fished lol.