Baitcasters

Don

Found a nice rod at the state fair. 1990’s Bass pro baitcaster rod. NIB. $5. MH, fast. Needs the have a guide replaced. Has microgiluides. Will be my top water.

truecrimson

OK, Tuesday I took the Shimano rod and reel up to Memorial for some practice.

Almost every cast the line would get loose. No birds nests for 2 hours. But this;
20220308_115252.jpg

Every time 8 would pull out the loose line, hold it ahead of the reel, and reel it back up tight again.

Also I had a lot of trouble with the brakes, drag, and whatever that blue one is called. No matter how I tightened or loosened or added or subtracted brakes I couldn't detect any change in performance.

I don't even have a coherent question beyond WTF is going on?

The $50 Bass Pro reel I left on the bottom of Swatara always made sense. If I made a change I could tell the difference.

truecrimson

And that one never did this loose line stuff. Same brand and weight line but this was new purchase to put in this reel.

Reactions: Don

Don

And that one never did this loose line stuff. Same brand and weight line but this was new purchase to put in this reel.
Send it to me for the summer and I promise to sort it out for you. ;);)

Forget the drag, tighten the blue knob until your bait barely falls on its own and then one or two more clicks. Then turn the magnets all the way up and youre good to go. Every time yo cast keep your thumb on the spool and stop the spool exactly as the lure hits the water. Then when you find out how bad you are donate it to one of us.

I told you to get the new Omega Pro. Did I not tell you to get the Omega pro?

Buy the way...I felt the same way for the first couple times out and Uncle Melvin won't touch the things if he can help it. So youre not in bad company... I mean we all love our wives and all...

Melvinp

You can’t throw the misses overboard lol I only like them for throwing heavy baits I like the misses for everything else lol

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
OK, Tuesday I took the Shimano rod and reel up to Memorial for some practice.

Almost every cast the line would get loose. No birds nests for 2 hours. But this;
View attachment 2896

Every time 8 would pull out the loose line, hold it ahead of the reel, and reel it back up tight again.

Also I had a lot of trouble with the brakes, drag, and whatever that blue one is called. No matter how I tightened or loosened or added or subtracted brakes I couldn't detect any change in performance.

I don't even have a coherent question beyond WTF is going on?

The $50 Bass Pro reel I left on the bottom of Swatara always made sense. If I made a change I could tell the difference.
Have you opened up the side panel and adjusted the brakes? In the fixed position (lever does not move, the brake is off). Try a few casts with all of the brakes engaged and then click 3 off and try it again, you’ll get a better understanding of how the spool is reacting.

Make sure that your tension knob is set correctly with the lure barely having enough weight to fall to the ground on its own. If it take less than a second, give it a little more tension.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
FWIW, the line you are using looks fine but some reels are just finicky with line. My recent Curado 150mgl I bought I was hoping to run 10lb like my 70mgl but after a couple of hours and 3 birds nests, it just won’t do it so heavier I had to go.

pabassman

Tension isnt set correctly. Also something you might want to try. Keep your casting elbow tucked against your body when casting. It takes a concisous effort at first but it makes a difference. Try it until you get more comfortable with that set up. You cant cast like its a spinning rod. Also, dont start with lighter baits. Jerkbaits are probably the worst thing to start with. Something more compact and a bit heavier. A 1/2 oz lipless or better yet a full size spook. These things cast like missles.

Solitario Lupo

Every time you change lures, weight wind to the tip of the rod hold rod out and push button use your tension bar so it falls slow.

Then when casting I like to cast up in the air so it falls slowly. If you throw straight at the water it will spin.

Don

Self imposed torture. Since I fish from a boat I thought it worthwhile.
I love fly fishing. But I use it for panfish.

Don

Besides DonM. Since you joined this family of fishermen you've been going down in age. Melvin, for instance, used to be 80.

Don

Ha Ha. And I thought I was the Grandpop on this site. You're actually a Geeser! lol.

truecrimson

I know now I'll never be baitcasting, way to much going on to have a smooth fun day. I may still try a fly rod, if I find a good cheap flea market deal. But at 71 it may be a little too late.
Check Ollies if you have one near you. That's where my first fly rod came from. The old guy who was teaching me and gave it to me had found it there and liked to pick up a few to give away every year when they got them in.