Baitcasters

Don

Okay, So it is a nice reel but its main credit is the shallow spool. Ironically that was the first positive thing I noticed.

Don

Today I went out to practice and was trying to catch my driveway. I was trying to learn basic pitching and flipping with just a few longer cast for fun.
It seemed like I had to loosen the spool tension to get good results. Then when I would cast fat it would birdsnest unless I re-tightened the spool tension. I was using a half oz egg.

Should changing the tension be necessary when switching back and forth?

Don

Is this spool over full?

Attachments

• 80AFE18A-60AE-41CB-9A21-C3A55A7A897F.jpeg
    80AFE18A-60AE-41CB-9A21-C3A55A7A897F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6

Solitario Lupo

Today I went out to practice and was trying to catch my driveway. I was trying to learn basic pitching and flipping with just a few longer cast for fun.
It seemed like I had to loosen the spool tension to get good results. Then when I would cast fat it would birdsnest unless I re-tightened the spool tension. I was using a half oz egg.

Every time you change weights or lure your tension bar should always be adjusted. Remember the tip on how to adjust it. With the lure at the top of the rod push button and loosen the tension bar until the lure slowly falls.

Don

I think I will take off 6 double arms lengths. 20’. Se how it is. I actually want a line counter reel some day.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I will have to look at this the next time I go to Cabelas. I have a Curado DC that has a setting to help with skipping. It is not a "skip mode" per se but if you change the setting to 4 on the dial it works very well to control backlash with little to no thumbing.

I have been wanting to try a higher end Lews for a while so who knows. I have a $200 gift card arriving in the next few days due to a rebate on the Livescope I purchased a couple of months ago. I have mentally allocated that to a Curado 150mgl but if the Lews feels right, just maybe.

I received my Garmin rebate in the mail yesterday so off to Cabelas I went today to buy a new reel. ;). I did check out the Lews Pro SP. I have to admit, I liked it, alot! The size felt great in hand, the handle was smooth, the star drag was friendly and I liked the simple adjustments, especially the clicking spool tension knob. Since I am not in the market for a dedicated skipping reel, it was easy to move on but if I were in the market, that would be hard to pass up.

With some complications, I picked up the intended purchase, the Shimano Curado 151MGL. I love my Curado 71MGL so when this slightly beefier version came out, and for $30 less, it was a no-brainer for me to add it to the line-up and it should do some nice pitching for me with a little higher # line than the 71 series I use.

151 to the left, 71 to the right. The 151 looks quite a bit larger now that I am seeing it on picture but notice the handle of the 151 is making it sit higher so perspective is lost. They’re really about the same with the 151 being just a tad bigger.

39D0CDEE-C252-48ED-B7AA-02585884C3F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: A-5

Melvinp

Yep or keep practicing

Reactions: A-5

Melvinp

I think I will take off 6 double arms lengths. 20’. Se how it is. I actually want a line counter reel some day.
Don’t need a line counter for pitching or flipping it’s a shorter cast line counter for trolling for sure well I think so anyway much easier to get a handle on

Don

What Black Line ? I don't see no stinking black line:)

I did notice that for pitching that the bait cast and and spincast are better, whereas for flipping they all work well, spinning reels included.

A-5

F3838198-4E39-4E5C-ADFC-B49D4DBB1406.jpegI would. And am gonna do this myself. Throw a lure and motor on. Reall the bait in it will tighten the line up

Solitario Lupo

Talking about a line counter like this not one built on the reel. If you get one on the reel it’s more for trolling or fishing deep waters like the ocean.

1645029827678.jpeg

Don

I like it and I understood what you were saying initially. I just think it would take to many yards of saved line to pay it off. Maybe someday I'll borrow a members;-)