Baitcasters

A-5

Line is non sense. It’s just a necessary evil. The last 6’ is all that matters. Mind you I fish differently. Float fishing and dropping over a boat is what I’m talki about. Bass fishing and toothy critters it matters. But float fishing and merely dropping over the bow for panfish line is nonsense.

truecrimson

We've learned to give you some space, you seem loyal enough. Now that you done that down to the knot thing would you rather avoid that in the future?
Sometimes I don't have time. Sometimes I don't have energy. Sometimes I don't have more line. Sometimes I don't want to waste whatever amount of line I have left on a spool just because I broke off or cut off half a dozen times. When I start seeing the knot that is the signal that now is the time to cut it off and put on new.

truecrimson

Big game is nice on casting and spinning gear. But is sucks on spincast. Too stretchy.
The Kastking stuff is slick.
What ever I order I think it will be a bigger spool. Tired of running out.
I used to very into spiderwire, but got away from it years ago.

truecrimson

I should also probably buy a big spool. All I have left is the 6lb Bass Pro crappie maxx camoflage.

20210925_174932.jpg

I like it a lot on my spinning reels. But from what y'all have said I think it's too thin for a bait caster.

Don

Yes the big game I had I think was 6 lb. Installed on a spincast reel it would bury and stick under pressure. 8/10/12 were okay.

Don

Sol thanks for that. Its what I'll do for now. By the time I get out again next spring I'll put unblemished line onto it.

Don

I've hesitated to buy the great big spools as I haven't decided on the lbs line to use but it will all fall together.

Don

I sure hope I like Baitcasting rigs as I’ve surely “bought in on them”. I absolutely love the spincast reels for certain situations and I’d think, once mastered, the modern bsitcast reel would really rock.

Don

I’ve been using spinning stuff for topwater lures. Then I pitch with spinn cast. Bottom fishing I use either. I see baitcasters replacing pitching and bottom casting if it all turns out.

Don

I tried out numerous bc rods today. I was a bit confused. A 7'6" made for 15 -25lb line will be a two-handed rod whereas a 7' 8-17 was a perfect one-handed rod. 6" and a bit more heft made a big diff. How often do you wish your rods were lighter...not shorter necessarily, but lighter. Do I want a long rear handle for bracing on my forearm when flipping and so forth. I'm thinking I have allot to learn.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I tried out numerous bc rods today. I was a bit confused. A 7'6" made for 15 -25lb line will be a two-handed rod whereas a 7' 8-17 was a perfect one-handed rod. 6" and a bit more heft made a big diff. How often do you wish your rods were lighter...not shorter necessarily, but lighter. Do I want a long rear handle for bracing on my forearm when flipping and so forth. I'm thinking I have allot to learn.

As you get more into it, you are going to find out that it is a personal preference. There are some rods that are better for cranks, jerk baits, etc. but you're really getting into tournament level practices. For guys like us, a 7'ish Medium Heavy Fast is just fine to start for all around performance.

I do personally like a shorter handle for flipping.

Reactions: A-5

Grape

I bought my first baitcaster from Sixgill when they put out this new magnet design to help “rookies” learn how to use a baitcaster .. I think the design is in the Typhoon and Hamar. They have a BOGO coming up reel (pun intended) soon

Don

I’m set for 2022 but I joined the FB page and will watch them and Kastking for a year.

Don

Skipping reel. This is too cool. Even TC wants one. 40yds of 20lb test.

It Claims to be almost Birdsnest free. Since it only holds 40 yards many of the birds nests that you may have would be, probably, shallow and easier to de-tangle. So think TC floating the Toolie Creek down there in Lebnunville. The reel is set up to skip and hasn't much line to begin with. Once caught in the strainers one could reel themselves to safety on 20lb test.

Last edited:

Melvinp

Skipping reel. This is too cool. Even TC wants one. 40yds of 20lb test.

It Claims to be almost Birdsnest free. Since it only holds 40 yards many of the birds nests that you may have would be, probably, shallow and easier to de-tangle. So think TC floating the Toolie Creek down there in Lebnunville. The reel is set up to skip and hasn't much line to begin with. Once caught in the strainers one could reel themselves to safety on 20lb test.
Don he’s been throwing a bait caster sense he been 2 lol get a pick so you can get the nest out when it happens lol after 20 nest you will start getting it down

Reactions: Don

Don

Now youre throwing cold water on the dream! Let TC try it, he'll try anything.

Seriously cool concept, ya gotta admit.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I will have to look at this the next time I go to Cabelas. I have a Curado DC that has a setting to help with skipping. It is not a "skip mode" per se but if you change the setting to 4 on the dial it works very well to control backlash with little to no thumbing.

I have been wanting to try a higher end Lews for a while so who knows. I have a $200 gift card arriving in the next few days due to a rebate on the Livescope I purchased a couple of months ago. I have mentally allocated that to a Curado 150mgl but if the Lews feels right, just maybe.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Just wanted to post a video about that reel here that I just viewed. If you want the conclusion, skip to 16:40 of the video. I trust this reviewer's opinion, I have been watching his videos for quite a while and he is very thorough.