Baitcasters

Solitario Lupo

I don't really pay attention on my cast I probably do both side for shorter casts and over head for longer.
Either way I toss the lure up so it arches in the air and falls to the water. If you throw straight into the water like slam the water with the lure it will spool out still. One bad cast. If I think it's going to be bad or I slam the water my thumb stops it.

Don

Yes I’m missing that auto thumb that many of you have and only time will give me better instincts.
I don’t feel so bad as Creator Melvin P admitted that he found himself lacking in Baitcastor Skills.

Don

The set-ups are below. They are working well. I see why allot of folks say to use much longer rods. One rod is a 6' Bass Pro and the other a 6.5' Ugly Stik.
Since I plan to mostly troll with these rigs then these short rods should work fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2245.jpeg
    IMG_2245.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2246.jpeg
    IMG_2246.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2247.jpeg
    IMG_2247.jpeg
    763.4 KB · Views: 8

Melvinp

I have a struggle believing anyone "can feel" a Dif. I bet its a fad. I bet it was a way for the maker to save money at first and then it caught on. We'll know in 10-15 years.
This isn’t new and until you fish several times with multiple rods you won’t feel a difference but you will have to take and fish the same blank with one style then the other to really find out I think this has more to do on how the handle is mounted either using tape or cork to fill the handle void and transfering the vibration of the rod trough the handle

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

The set-ups are below. They are working well. I see why allot of folks say to use much longer rods. One rod is a 6' Bass Pro and the other a 6.5' Ugly Stik.
Since I plan to mostly troll with these rigs then these short rods should work fine.
Try getting rid of the pistol grip and go with a long handle casting style rod pistol grips are good for short flips but you will find a longer handled rod is better when you want to send it and for trolling a longer handle is handy they allow you to spread your baits out farther off the sides of the boat I’m having a tough time seeing the handles is there 1 of each or are the both pistol grip meaning shot with trigger

Last edited:

Don

I found that out the hard way and I agree that long handles are best. I use spinsters on long or pistol grip according to my needs .
The fall of your lure I guess is supposed to be re-adjusted every time you change the weight of the presentation?

Don

This isn’t new and until you fish several times with multiple rods you won’t feel a difference but you will have to take and fish the same blank with one style then the other to really find out I think this has more to do on how the handle is mounted either using tape or cork to fill the handle void and transfering the vibration of the rod trough the handle
On rods I've built it was 3/4" tape halved lengthwise. Lots and lots of epoxy. Unfortunately I gifted those and never fished them. But I think that the more epoxy you use the more you'll feel vibration through the handles. I still prefer cork to all synthetic materials but to each his own.

Don

A little help please: I took the new reels and went tangling tonight. I found my favorite spot on the Delaware and proceeded to birdnest walleyes, trees, rocks and more. The real purpose of the trip was to get out over some water while standing on firm ground and see how to use these reels. I was looking very impressive...casting over a third of the way across on some casts. A friend showed up and I looked over at him and whammo....first rod out of commission. I continued to cast with the second rod and felt like I had the hang of it when for some dumb reason I switched hands and it all went haywire. I carried them both off the sea of battle and returned to my home to watch videos on untangling them. It worked for the one reel but the other had to be cut out. As you can see in the photo half the line is now gone on that reel. Will it fish okay like that or should it replace all the line? A spincaster and a spinning reel would have to be reloaded so far as I've experienced. Would it be okay, or even advisable to splice onto this some new line and refill the spool or would that spell trouble?

Attachments

• IMG_2262.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I’ve read many posts where guys will just tie on more line to the existing and go to town. I am a very “hmmm-retentive”person, I would just respool. I’ve got issues. Lol

truecrimson

I cannot comment intelligently on whether or not to respool the bait caster. Spincast has been my nemesis, and you are the expert there so I will defer to your knowledge.

But I don't agree about spinning reels. I'll fish them all the way down to the knot at the bottom with no issues. Plenty of times I've caught fish with all of the line out and praying the knot holds and it was fine. Usually that is my signal that I need to respool. But as far as performance everything is exactly the same as if I have a full reel.

A-5

Line is cheap. Why wouldn’t you replace it? Note. I’m a complete weirdo. I tinker all year long on fishing setups

Don

Is that what you would do? I can order more. I thought that since I’m learning it wouldn’t hurt to patch things up here and there. I do like this line: Kastking bright green mono. It nice to be able to see.

Don

Big game is nice on casting and spinning gear. But is sucks on spincast. Too stretchy.
The Kastking stuff is slick.
What ever I order I think it will be a bigger spool. Tired of running out.

Solitario Lupo

Just my two cents your really not going for shamu so I would think tying the mono together won’t hurt until you really learn. Another thing is don’t over line the spool.

Reactions: Don