Braid, There I said it!

Don

I hear that but I've not done so yet. What method do you use to sharpen hooks.
I’ve been curious of two things. How deep are the rivers that you catch your Musky I. And how deep are the fish when you hook up?

Last edited:

Don

For those of you that use Braid with a leader I'd like to know how long of a leader you use for which species. Big Guy in Sellersville said 2'. I've read to use a leader the length of you rod when fishing for lakers. I normally use 2-4' when using a spinning or spincast rod.

Solitario Lupo

How deep are the rivers that you catch your Musky I. And how deep are the fish when you hook up?
It’s a creek. That has a dam on it. That’s the fast current goes to say about 20 feet. The Muskie hide in the rocks so I’ll fish to about 10 feet down to 3 feet of waters. That’s just below the dam. Now the creek there’s holes they lay in.

River fishing is harder but the Allegheny river has deep spots but is a shallow river. They swim anywhere from 35 feet deep to 5 feet of water. They like the weed beds and big rocks.

Muskie are funny they can hit right in front of you had one swim on shore inches of water to grab a lure.

Don

Muskie are funny they can hit right in front of you had one swim on shore inches of water to grab a lure.
Seems to be typical Esox family behavior. They are fun to watch. Pickerel are always up to some antics.

I have numerous of that style hook sharpener built into my tools such as knife sheath, knot tying tool and other. Maybe I'll use them. Certain hook brands are said to be sharper than possible with hand sharpening as they are acid sharpened. Pretty hard to beat.

Last edited:

Solitario Lupo

Seems to be typical Esox family behavior. They are fun to watch. Pickerel are always up to some antics.

I have numerous of that style hook sharpener built into my tools such as knife sheath, knot tying tool and other. Maybe I'll use them. Certain hook brands are said to be sharper than possible with hand sharpening as they are acid sharpened. Pretty hard to beat.

Don’t be fooled they say there sharp right out of the package and acid or whatever but for any toothy fish should be sharpened right away. I did that my first couple times thought they were sharp and lost fish now when I sharpen them a couple times my hookup is way better.

Don

What know do you use to join floro to mono and Floro/Mono to Braid. I was learning to use the Alberto knot but prefer the multiple surgeon knot. Today I learned of the FG knot and find it pretty darn cool.

Below is my first one. A bit sloppy but very skinny in comparison to the others I nmentioned. It is 40lb Braid to 12lb Big Game.

Attachments

• IMG_3608.JPG
    IMG_3608.JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 1

Don

40 lb braid to 8 big game

Attachments

• 6DB44DF1-FC58-497C-B7E8-D81B73B7196B.jpeg
    6DB44DF1-FC58-497C-B7E8-D81B73B7196B.jpeg
    544.3 KB · Views: 3

Don

40lb braid to 12lb big game.

Attachments

• 5C3B48F0-5CC0-4C34-9612-9CB7A1C70391.jpeg
    5C3B48F0-5CC0-4C34-9612-9CB7A1C70391.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 1

Don

Lastly 40 lb braid to 15lb mono.

Attachments

• E1FA33A8-22A2-41D6-A0CA-0B5AB5AAB13F.jpeg
    E1FA33A8-22A2-41D6-A0CA-0B5AB5AAB13F.jpeg
    949.4 KB · Views: 1

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Looks good, all of em. You’ll feel the tick as it passes the guides if you’re trying to finesse a cast. Otherwise, let it fly!

Don

Why use a leader at all ?
Stealth
Mono and floro are almost invisible. Braid is very visible.
Economy
Mono and especially floro are more highly abrasion resistant than braid. While being easy to replace they can take the beatings from rocks and teeth better.
And the braid is rarely if ever cut all season.

Don

I’ve heard every length one can imagine for leaders. In a recent YouTube a Pro mentioned using a 25’ leader and that way when flipping the braid rarely comes Into play. Eccentric? Maybe. What length leader do you all prefer?

Last edited: