Braid, There I said it!

Solitario Lupo

If I make then. I make them a little smaller than the rod size cause I just run a barrel swivel and that doesn’t go threw the guides. Plus easier to toss out.

Reactions: Don

HenryDavid

Stealth
Mono and floro are almost invisible. Braid is very visible.
Economy
Mono and especially floro are more highly abrasion resistant than braid. While being easy to replace they can take the beatings from rocks and teeth better.
And the braid is rarely if ever cut all season.
"they can take the beatings from rocks and teeth better." I respectfully disagree. I've never had a toothy break me off using braid.

Don

"they can take the beatings from rocks and teeth better." I respectfully disagree. I've never had a toothy break me off using braid.
That sounds Fishy HD. A year or two ago I carried it and used it as tippet for when I was perusing pickerel. Though members told me not to do so I insisted. I thought surely anything as difficult to cut as braid would be great…..wrong.
They sliced it like 1 lb mono.
Very embarrassing. I now use 10 or 12 lb mono for tippet when after pickerel. . I also have wire but don’t like it.

Don

40 lb braid to 8 big game
Final thoughts on knots for braid to leaders. The first knot above was my try at the fG knot which is and very handsome knot indeed. Turned out my arthritic fingers just aren't consistent and that was the best I did. The next three knots were 8,12, and 15lb mono to 40 lb braid. The knot is a quad wrapped Surgeon knot that was lubricated and very slowly seated in. Then 2 or3 back wraps of the braid tail (think uni wraps) were made so that the braid was turned back away from the guides and I cast. I can almost tie this in the dark from a bobbing boat. We'll see how it works.

A-5

I prefer 2’. So I don’t have the knot going into the eyes. Plus you need to be fluro for 25’ to get a fish to bite get out of town Charlie Brown that’s stupid

Don

Naw the 25’ was about not bringing the braid into play… protect the braid and it will never slide over rocks and debris. He mentions his braid lasting a full season and I believe he said he is a pro.
I don’t subscribe to this idea.
This morning I added three arm lengths of clear 12lb XL to my 40 braid. I used the quad surgeon with three back keepers and I couldn’t feel the knot go through the guides or reel. I like it. When it gets cut and broken back to 18” or so I’ll replace it.

Don

Next, on the other baitcaster it is loaded with 12lb mono. I tried the three arm length of 10lb xl leader and it was a flop. While there may be other mono to mono combinations that may work this combo couldn’t have been worse. I got to where I went Big Game to a swivel then around about two feet of XL to the hook. Lots of false casting in pool. Both rigs feel great.

Solitario Lupo

Just had a Muskie cut off 80lb braid like it was nothing. With its teeth. Didn’t even think it would happen with 80lb but it did. Braid is very easy to slice so I would agree with don that fluoro and mono are better for rocky areas but mono not so much for toothy. Heavy fluoro is used for leaders for toothy.

Don

I was reading that allot and didn’t listen. Lost some nice pickerel.
I’m using mono for now until I get some seaguar or something.

Solitario Lupo

I was reading that allot and didn’t listen. Lost some nice pickerel.
I’m using mono for now until I get some seguar. Uh N
If your tying straight to a hook I would use something bite proof. A harder lure you might get away with it.

Don

Well, I agree, did bite wire last year and scared allot of fish off. Experts say 10-12lb mono or floro is adequate for pickerel along with regular leader inspections as you catch.

Don

Yes there are. They steel your bait and attach snarls to your line. They do this to piss you off, go on admit it.

Don

Just you wait Sonny.

Hey thanks for the boxes. it will be a while until it all settles in but that was big to gift them to me.

Don

BTW I still haven't caught a thing on either of my BC rigs. I keep them loaded with stuff that only big bass will bite and it is merely the luck of the draw that all of this years bigger bass were caught on other rigs. So its only a matter of time. I have spent allot of time casting and the new 40lb Suffix Promix Braid is awesome.