What did you Buy Today?

Melvinp

If your dealing with boot foot waders try getting the felt sole it actually gives you more thickness for studs without poking through,don’t get me wrong on the mud your going for a ride but when you hit the water studs are where it’s at.

Gremcat

St Croix lost a guide insert. Thought the new one was a one piece but it’s not. I’m on fence if I’ll keep or run back to Cabelas to swap. The Premier one piece is ML F this is L XF. I do like the real light weight tall guides on this one so might just add to collection and watch for a one piece.

President XT 20 reel to match the color and lightweight nature of the rod Z built.

Bunch of tackle but left plenty for you bass guys or anyone needing curly tailed grubs in the 7-9” length 😁EEDA4799-E732-4C9D-AA26-E268DF116B99.jpeg6ABB54C1-86E5-418F-A071-32ECACD34872.jpeg13E0EFE9-0408-4A44-A977-1076FF75E169.jpegC6D79EF9-5BB4-4CB2-B285-B6ED16D8D76B.jpeg

Reactions: MB3

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
St Croix lost a guide insert.

This has been a thorn in my side with St Croix rods. I have replaced at least 4 guides now due to the inserts failing. I even found a brand new one on a rack at the store missing an insert one time.

I am phasing them out of my arsenal. I love my Dobyns and Gloomis but they are pricey so I’m still trying to find a brand that can be on par with price / performance of say a SC Mojo Bass….without the issues though. ;)

Don

Check out speed Deamon Kastking. Also Sixgill. Both are more than just brands. Check out the websites and their Facebook pages.

Don M

Building my own rods is the only way I go. For sure I know what I'm getting, nothing fancy but very fishable. Only problem is I want to build more!!
Being old school these reels have not let be down (maybe a bail spring here and there). Only fished the 204S once but it will see action. The Shimano it my flounder reel, the Mitchell 406 does get heavy after a few hours.

Attachments

• 204S front.jpeg
    204S front.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 406 restore.jpg
    406 restore.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 1reels.jpg
    1reels.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Shimano Nasci                  4000.jpg
    Shimano Nasci 4000.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: A-5

Don

Nice DonM. I hope to use a 58 Quick this year for bigger fish. Not sure where I’ll use it yet.

Gremcat

I’ve been thinking I wanted to try Fuji SiC K frames and have the last two or so guides be Recoil with a larger than average tip top. I need a rod better for dealing with icing issues. I can’t complain about St Croix. This rod has many hundreds to thousands of oversized trout. Kids have dropped it, kicked it, stepped on it. I’ve slapped ice out of guides, etc. It’s had a rough life. I’m debating the trout model. I like the taller thinner guides but the aluminum feeling inserts concern me a bit. They had a premier but I got confused and was looking for a L or UL. They had the ML in single piece split grip at 7’. That’s the only one in the premier line. I might take the trout blank back.

13 Fishing had this one planned for last year. I emailed and they won’t have it ready until mid spring or later. It’s a 7’ one piece UL with Alconite Fuji guides. That’s about perfect if maybe 6” short for what I want.

C896C6B0-9BD7-4E0F-AC6A-E8829909168A.jpeg

On Pflueger I wasn’t sold. My brother likes his and Daiwa took forever to fix a reel. I bought a $200 ish Okuma 4 years ago and it was gritty from day one. I didn’t know any better. The Daiwa is nice but if you reverse reel the handle comes right off. I bought my brother the Pflueger as a quick replacement waiting on the Daiwa and thought maybe get a year out of it. It’s smoother than any other reel I have and it was the $50 Walmart blister pack. The XT fit the extremely light rod Z built, had matching red anodization, and I like cork. It had a cork handle. I’ll say again, I’m a big cork fan. Gains character, feels warm, etc.

Gremcat

The new St Croix is just a spare rod or “dock” rod. I’ll probably swap it for the premier one piece. I would’ve looked around a bit but had my 5 yo who wanted to see all the sights at Cabelas and my Brother, who skipped lunch, wanting food. I will likely look a bit more at their offerings and walk by the Loomis rack. The trade-in is only In-Stock items. I saw a St Croix Panfish that might fit the bill but not in stock.

I’m going to run my St Croix imperial almost exclusively now that I have my homemade line casting well.

Gremcat

Building my own rods is the only way I go. For sure I know what I'm getting, nothing fancy but very fishable. Only problem is I want to build more!!
Being old school these reels have not let be down (maybe a bail spring here and there). Only fished the 204S once but it will see action. The Shimano it my flounder reel, the Mitchell 406 does get heavy after a few hours.
I’m trying to avoid another hobby but I’ve considered. I’ve also considered tying flies again. I’m lucky if I have a few minutes a day left currently. I’m thinking I’ll ask one of our pro’s here to tie new guides on the St Croix. I’m open to size recommendations. Fuji K frame single foot Alconite or SiC seem to be the Centerpin/steelhead preferred and I’ve heard mixed on Recoil guides being easier to de-ice. Open to suggestions on which sizes to order, alternative guides, etc. Goal is minimal ice, max cast distance for often light delicate baits, accuracy at distance is a much lower priority. I was using my mini pin with spinning reel to try a long light rod and if it wasn’t a noodle it would have worked. The end is a guide not a tip top. I could deliver 1 in 3 to a ridiculous distance but the other 2 I missed timing the loading with a very mismatched rod blank.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

Check out speed Deamon Kastking. Also Sixgill. Both are more than just brands. Check out the websites and their Facebook pages.
I did look at sixgill’s bogo and had a rod in my cart a few times but it wasn’t exactly what I thought I wanted. I was going to hold out then I found my st Croix guide issue. I’ve 3 kids and Youth fishing starts soon.

Reactions: Don

Blackcat Outdoors

I ordered one of these action cams for recording some outings. Years ago I had purchased the original GoPro and the video was horrible. This is 1/4 the price of the newest GoPro and has excellent reviews. Now to wait for shipping, head cam videos coming soon, lol
View attachment 2959
I'm thinking about the asako brave 7 myself. It's one of 3 new cameras I've been eyeing for my YouTube channel.