What did you Buy Today?

A-5

For me. I don’t want weight. I can figure actual depth of hole on how the float reacts Weight on the foot gives you false sense of proper leader line in water. Shot line, proper float weight and a successful fishing trip

Last edited:

A-5

Man now I learn that lol, well there’s a chunk of cash gone to tuition. Who says I’m didn’t pay for an education lol
Those floats aren’t worthless. Just weighted. You use two rods? Once you dial in match the set up and you can use the weighted floats. Once you know the area fished. The weighted float can be used cause you know it’s 4’ or 5’. The only advantage to no weight the current will dictate size of float. Heavy current takes more weight to get down right? Which means a bigger float due to more weight to be in the zone.

A-5

A canted float up stream means your dragging bottom or the flow has pushed the shot line possibly to high in the column. Fix. Pull bobber up or add more weight to fish more vertical

Gremcat

A canted float up stream means your dragging bottom or the flow has pushed the shot line possibly to high in the column. Fix. Pull bobber up or add more weight to fish more vertical
I figured that out today playing on the Lehigh. When I added a few inches of length I hit bottom tilting the float. Snag a lot bottom bouncing there so hoped float would do it but the only hits where when a Minnow turned in the current and the float tends to pull the minnow up higher or otherwise spook fish. Just stocked a truckload yesterday. Only caught a wild brown and a crazy carp of some kind. Not a yellow and not like Asians I’ve seen. Scales so back shadowed they looked fake. Probably 3 lbs and real fine glitter look to scales with tall dorsal fin. Pics don’t really show the girth but fat thing. Maybe a ‘Fall’ fish that is bigger than I’m used to. Only encounter them here in PA.

Attachments

• 484065BC-6EB2-428C-AD7C-DF42CBCE9BAE.jpeg
    484065BC-6EB2-428C-AD7C-DF42CBCE9BAE.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 559D24D2-0323-49AE-A956-FDDC21B9967E.jpeg
    559D24D2-0323-49AE-A956-FDDC21B9967E.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
  • EEFF50D5-D3A0-41B9-B76C-37B4CDE63233.jpeg
    EEFF50D5-D3A0-41B9-B76C-37B4CDE63233.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4

Don

Nice addition to your collection. Have you used this in the past. I've had my eye on that very products for some time.

Melvinp

I figured that out today playing on the Lehigh. When I added a few inches of length I hit bottom tilting the float. Snag a lot bottom bouncing there so hoped float would do it but the only hits where when a Minnow turned in the current and the float tends to pull the minnow up higher or otherwise spook fish. Just stocked a truckload yesterday. Only caught a wild brown and a crazy carp of some kind. Not a yellow and not like Asians I’ve seen. Scales so back shadowed they looked fake. Probably 3 lbs and real fine glitter look to scales with tall dorsal fin. Pics don’t really show the girth but fat thing. Maybe a ‘Fall’ fish that is bigger than I’m used to. Only encounter them here in PA.
Welcome to the world of fallfish

Blackcat Outdoors

1000.jpg

I may be getting carried away with new boats this year. I stumbled on one of these at dunham's today and couldn't resist for $500. I have to go pick it up when I have a day off, so I'll take some actual pics then.

Also, not really a "buy," but my father has an old 12' Jon boat out in the one barn that we used to fish out of when I was a kid. He told me to come get it if I wanted it and think it's still okay. I looked and other than a rotten transem board, it looks almost exactly how I remember it. I don't think it'll take much to get back on the water. So I might be on new boat number four here after easter. 😁

Gremcat

Picked up some new line to try on the Daiwa reel that just came back from repair. Copolymer and weird translucent brown/yellow tint that changes color under water. I spooled it but haven’t tried it yet. I’m not super thrilled with the Suffix Ghost Braid though it was $35 for a small spool. I had a snag and broke off yesterday. I peeled back some clipped it and retied. Felt strong and used a 6lbs STS Seguar leader. Threw a spinner which I never do. Big fish hit and immediately snapped at the swivel on the braid. Nit exactly sure what happened but between weird incidents like that, the painful clipping tags, real hard to untangle birds nests rare as they are, and the way it jumbles on reel hanging up during casts regardless of how tight or loose I spool it I’m going back to Mono or Copolymer main line. I like the sensitivity but that’s about it.

I was just going to switch to 6 lbs Trilene like A-5 usually recommends but they didn’t have the one I wanted and very few lines I liked at the local place. I’ve a jumbo spool of 8 lbs for steelhead but a bit heavy for a tiny size 15 UL spinning reel. We’ll see how this new line works out.

@A-5, they had Berkeley Ice or something like that I thought was one you’d looked for. Only came on the small 150-200 yard spools but they had 5-6 spools I think. I’ll be back there after my flight to MS this week. Probably Saturday anyway if you are looking for some.

Gremcat

For trout I’ve tried down to 2lbs and think I’ll run with 6 lbs and 4lbs STS Leader from now one. I fish real fast log jammy creeks and largish trout so while breaks on fish are getting rare as my knots and technique improve a few thousand trout in I think the margin on heavy fish in murky water is helpful. I’ve noticed some 4 lbs is real strong but it’ll have some brittle spots in random places. I’m assuming the extrusion process window is 4 lbs whatever diameter on the low end so when the extruded gets to that low end it gets brittle or maybe it’s another issue in manufacturing. Find it on about every line I use too. Even Seguar STS will have some spots more brittle than others.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Received via Fed-Ex yesterday an Aftco Reaper Windproof Jacket as well as a Aftco Reaper Technical Fleece Hoodie to round out weather protection.

MJ31-BLK-1-ICAST_2048x2048.jpg

MF4165-GCAM-1_2048x2048.jpg

One thing I fail to do yearly is to properly dress for fishing. I seem to be able to throw money at a new rod or reel or other equipment without a blink of an eye but when it comes to clothing, I seem to be cheap. This year, I'm going to accept my age and stop "grinning and bearing it" and make myself comfortable.

I've had my eye on the jacket and when I went striper fishing last week, here comes my buddy showing up in one. With just a base layer shirt and the jacket, he said he was warm all day and it blocks the wind 100%. All the while I had a base layer shirt, t-shirt, sweatshirt and a jacket. I was not cold but definitely bulky so I am looking forward to having a little more movement. I threw in the sweatshirt as it was on sale and it got me over the top for free shipping but that should serve me well on cool later spring and summer mornings. They both have hoods and face masks built in. Since fishing from a kayak and a boat the last 5-6 years, I really keep a tab on sun exposure so those features will be welcomed.

Don

They look nice and it figures they don't carry tall. Reasonable prices as well.