What did you Catch Today?

Don

Maybe you can answer this...When folks use the term Brush pile what are they talking about. Certainly there aren't little fishies down there with little fishy chainsaws cutting up fishwood trees and stacking the brush in piles. So are we talking trees that floated off the banks and sank? Are we talking Christas trees. Can you define what brush piles are. Before I met you all I was a creek or pond fisherman. And how do you find them? I've never seen anything suspiciously brushpile-like on my Hummingbird.

pabassman

Maybe you can answer this...When folks use the term Brush pile what are they talking about. Certainly there aren't little fishies down there with little fishy chainsaws cutting up fishwood trees and stacking the brush in piles. So are we talking trees that floated off the banks and sank? Are we talking Christas trees. Can you define what brush piles are. Before I met you all I was a creek or pond fisherman. And how do you find them? I've never seen anything suspiciously brushpile-like on my Hummingbird.
If I can I'll take a pic next time out. Brushpiles are usually sunk by fishermen in strategic areas. The Pack is loaded with sunken and still standing timber. This is from the original flooding a hundred years ago. Much of that timber is in deeper water, 25 plus. With the newer advanced down and side imaging you can find incredible amounts of downed trees. Not surprising channel bends and swings are spots where it gathered heaviest. Lots of areas where vertical is the only way to fish. Christmas trees often arent good until they spend severl years in the water.

Don

This is kind of the direction I'm heading. sort-of. Melvin and Z are also sort of heading that way, sometimes. I've been seriously fishing since 2018. Started with the bank game. Then once I had the boat it was a casting to the bank game. Then, Thanks to you guys, especially TS and TC I got interested in suspended fish. Maybe brushplles are out ahead waiting for me. thanks for the explanation.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
This is kind of the direction I'm heading. sort-of. Melvin and Z are also sort of heading that way, sometimes. I've been seriously fishing since 2018. Started with the bank game. Then once I had the boat it was a casting to the bank game. Then, Thanks to you guys, especially TS and TC I got interested in suspended fish. Maybe brushplles are out ahead waiting for me. thanks for the explanation.

This is just a random image I grabbed from a google search. The left image being 2d sonar, the top right, side imaging and the lower right, down imaging.

01012024_ispy1.jpg

I'm not suggesting moving to a more expensive sonar (or am I? LOL) but when you get to see the multiple images, it's easier to mentally stitch together. It's fun finding places where others don't fish.....until the next time you get there and you see the boat that was watching you last time there. :(

Don

I've seen the stacks like is shown in pink and assumed it was bait, then the orange blob below it id have considered trash or boulder. I have problematic eyesight and to be consistent I leave the setting show the fish shape instead of arches.
With the image in right top I have no idea what it is displaying. looks like a highway with single white line. Can you explain it? Is this what they call DI?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
looks like a highway with single white line. Can you explain it? Is this what they call DI?

You're right, it does look like a hiway! ;). That upper right image is side imaging. The yellow line in the center of the image is the dividing line, the left or right side of your boat. The black between the line and the gold is the water depth between the boat and the bed of the lake or river. And then the gold is the bed and out, towards the bank if you will.

Because the image is gradient in color, that is typically a rise or decline in water level, in this case, and down imaging confirms, a rise in the bed and on that rise is an object. That object is assumed to be a brush pile because you can see the shadow beyond it which shows that it has height. Once again, confirmed by both down imaging as well as 2D. Beyond and below the shadow of the brush, you see those white or gold footballs, they are most likely rocks but not definite, they could be fish but they do not have a shadow beneath them like the fish tight to the upper right of the brush that clearly has a shadow beneath it.

The lower right image, down imaging, confirms that there is a rock beyond the brush just like 2D shows in bright red. Harder returns give brighter colors. Finally.....you seem some red on the down image indicating a fish. I am not sure what sonar this image is from, I believe it could be Lowrance as they include fish identification on their down imaging.

As you can tell by my ramblings, there is a wealth of info and I may also geek out over this stuff. ;). End result, cast at that stuff!

Solitario Lupo

Brush piles are usually naturally made by trees, bushes, sticks, debris falling in the water and wind and air moving them to certain areas and piling up. Cribs are man made and are out there for habitat and structure for the fish. Both can be great to fish by them if you can find them. Some lakes show where they sunk cribs.

Don

I think my old crib is down there somewhere...

I saw where some fish commissions somewhere tied Christmas Trees together, many at a time, and tied weights to the(concrete blocks or something) and pushed them off the front of boats.

Reactions: A-5

truecrimson

You're right, it does look like a hiway! ;). That upper right image is side imaging. The yellow line in the center of the image is the dividing line, the left or right side of your boat. The black between the line and the gold is the water depth between the boat and the bed of the lake or river. And then the gold is the bed and out, towards the bank if you will.

Because the image is gradient in color, that is typically a rise or decline in water level, in this case, and down imaging confirms, a rise in the bed and on that rise is an object. That object is assumed to be a brush pile because you can see the shadow beyond it which shows that it has height. Once again, confirmed by both down imaging as well as 2D. Beyond and below the shadow of the brush, you see those white or gold footballs, they are most likely rocks but not definite, they could be fish but they do not have a shadow beneath them like the fish tight to the upper right of the brush that clearly has a shadow beneath it.

The lower right image, down imaging, confirms that there is a rock beyond the brush just like 2D shows in bright red. Harder returns give brighter colors. Finally.....you seem some red on the down image indicating a fish. I am not sure what sonar this image is from, I believe it could be Lowrance as they include fish identification on their down imaging.

As you can tell by my ramblings, there is a wealth of info and I may also geek out over this stuff. ;). End result, cast at that stuff!
Please geek out as much as you want. I have been trying to learn this stuff for at least 10 years and have had only very limited understanding.

Don

This seems like a good video for those with minimal electroincs experince
Wow. I really enjoyed this video. Are they still teaching this stuff in our grade schools.
Seriously one finds out right away that the old school 2D is only a little bit better than a fish depth finder. That is enough if you fish the same area over and over. but it soon becomes apparent how much each level up helps ( DI, side imaging, 360, A-5, and so forth). Furthermore this video is at a level that even TC and I can understand.

Reactions: A-5

Don

"Here is a pic I've shared before. An entire foundation. You can see pods of fish. Somw in the foundation frme, some scattered/suspended just off of it under the boat"
I see that but it does not have the logical clarity of the tutorial that you sent to me. Once again the black line down the middle means nothing. if the sides were joined and the black was cut out it would still be the same give or take a little overlap here or there ???

pabassman

Mine is a gen 1. Im sure the video is a gen4 with mega imaging. Big difference. Idk what you mean about the black area? TS explained it earlier. That under the boat. The other areas are foo to the sides